Thread: borax for ants?

Default borax for ants?

People have suggested peanut butter/borax to kill ants.. Ive also seen jelly/borax for ants.. My questions, peanut butter or jelly doesnt attract bees? And are we talking straight laundry borax or a a specific type? Got me a bit of an ant problem

Default Re: borax for ants?

We use a mix of laundry borax, water & sugar. Combine 1 cup of sugar, 1 tablespoon of Borax, and cup of water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil and boil for three minutes/until everything is dissolved. Let it cool completely. It will thicken as it cools. Put in a bee proof jar/container (something with small holes) - place it flat so that the ants can get in/keep water out.

try using cinnamon on the inner cover, this will discourage the ants, but be careful when you remove it or it will get into the hive.

Home Depot and Lowes sell "Terro" ant killer, which is just sugar water/borax premixed in some small containers. You cut a very small hole in the container with scissors, ants can get in but bees cannot.

You can make it yourself, but it's hard to beat Terro... Your ant problem will go away in a few days.

Larry

The people performing Termite Inspections for termites, ants and other such pests use the diatomaceous dust to get rid of them effectively.

http://www.terro.com/products/outdoor-ant-baits

These have worked well for me...until a coon or skunk tore them up this week. I refill them with a borax/sugar syrup mix (5-6% just like the package says) and put the "lid" back on. Haven't seen a bee on them yet. The hole the ants go through is about 1/8" tall. The reservoir for the bait holds a lot, so it can knock out several different ant colonies most of the time.