Hi everyone,

I tried to post a thread yesterday, but somehow it got lost, probably because of my typing between the keys. Today I see that jsbyers posted with a question almost identical to the idea I had. So I'll follow the answers to his post with great interest. Thanks js.

I probably have too many questions but I got the call for moving the hive just long enough ago to move it and spent the time working on prep for doing a trapout rather than researching trapout procedures. Well I did watch trapout videos and looked closely at the Hogan trap a few months ago. Thanks Cleo.

Then to further confuse me I went to observe the water heater hive yesterday about 4:30 just in time to see it swarm. It went about 100 yards and landed around a tree limb too high to reach and much too large for me to shake. I spent the remainder of the time I had in the next hour getting lures set near where the swarm landed. I'll still try the trapout of the water tank hive. I saw some bees at the entrance of the tank, so if those are still there in another day or so I have a trapout to do.

And - I'm having a really bad back week so its hard to recuperate, research, prepare for bees and scratch a load of chiggers all at the same time. I'm though crying now. lol

Another question. I have a first year hive which came into an 8 frame medium lure May 20. Its now July 25. I don't know if my hive is strong enough to sacrifice a frame of brood to entice a trapout hive to stay in the new hive they're being offered. Are there some guidelines for me to follow to determine that?

Also, how can I tell when the hive being trapped out is finished leaving? I know the number of bees will decrease coming from the hive being trapped. Should I leave the hive and trapout devices in place long enough for the brood in the hive being trapped out to hatch?

Also, the old established hive is in a water heater. I moved the hive to a new location so I can work on it. Should I try cutting the metal tank apart to try salvaging the contents?

Sorry for so many questions, but I had no idea a trapout situation would arise so soon in my early beekeeping days.

Thanks to you all for your input,
bnt