Default Is it hopeless, will they die out

2 weeks ago my tbh had at least 8 queen cells so I took half of them and split. this week all the cells are empty. all the larvae has been capped and few are left. no signs of eggs. hopefully the queens will make it back and start laying. i looked in them yesterday and didn't find a virgin queen, but the hives were extremely docile, does this mean anything. this is a feral swarm caught in april and my first time with bees. thanks for any help.

Default Re: Is it hopeless, will they die out

Its not hopeless yet. You may be interested in reading Michael Bush's BeeMath page to better understand the timeline involved in raising a queen and getting her mated and laying:

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesmath.htm
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

I would not panic until two weeks after the new queen hatched. I checked a hive last week for eggs exactly 13 days after the queen hatched. Not one single egg anywhere. I was beginning to think they were queenless....then on the last frame saw the queen. I am checking again today and I expect to find eggs.

From my experience, I have not seen eggs earlier than 10 days after the queen hatched....and It has been as late as 20 days after hatch to see eggs.

So I think you are still in range to expect eggs soon.

I hope that a queen makes it back from mating flights and starts laying. I will check again in 2 weeks and hope to find eggs. If not maybe I can catch another swarm next year.

The virgin or just mated queen is really hard to spot especially if it is a "tiger striped" queen. They are not much bigger than an older worker.

I am pretty sure that I saw a queen, but then another bee grabed her and they fell to the bottom of the hive