Hybrid View

Default Too late for a trap-out?

I got a call from a guy that has bees in a wall and I want to do a trap out. My concern is, is it too late for them to try to get them strong enough for fall and winter? This will be my first TO so it is all new.

Also they look like a different bee than what I have and would really like to get the queen to keep the genetics. How long does it take for the queen to come out and go in my hive?

Default Re: Too late for a trap-out?

to quickly try to answer your questions. . . It's not too late for a trapout IMO. However I'd lean on local people to help you. Do you have any idea when your fall flow is there in Michigan? In Pa we have 2-3 months which is plenty of time. To do a trapout properly now may be the best time because you can allow them to rob out the cavity which is what you want to do at the end of the trapout. Getting the queen? Well that may work depending upon how you try to do it in as little as a few days to a week or so, or you may never get her. I'd do a search for Cleo Hogan's posts on the subject. I'd PM him and ask for his trapout instructions. They're great and VERY VERY helpful. He's also a great guy (I have never met him, but have talked via beesource) and very free to give info. He has some steps to seek to get the queen, but you really need to follow a few pointers that he mentions. One big point is don't start trapping them out until you get the queen and the thing that is necessicary is that the brood nest is close to the entrance. Let me know if you have a hard time tracking Cleo down. I do have his info and may be able to get it to you also, but I'd go to the horse's mouth and not a neighbor.

Thank you. I know here in MI we still have Goldenrod coming so I was hoping their was more time. I have found Cleo Hogans info and will read it thoroughly. Thanks for the pointers.

I started a trap out in late August last year. I made to 5 frame nucs from the bees that both wintered over just fine and both produced honey this year. The trap out did not get completed before winter set in and was completed as a cut out early this year.
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

Do I have this right that you add a frame of eggs and brood to the box to attract the bees.

If the wall hive has a lot of honey stores - which they may this time of year, then they might be able to outlast you. If they just moved in and are light then it's probably a great time to trap them out for the purpose of removing them from the wall. If what you are after is "free" bees, then it's pretty late for that. A swarm in July....