Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Let's talk about viewing-windows

I've just finished up a hive to move a swarm into (assuming I need to move them before fall). I've found that I've gotten cheaper at making them, but they look better. Part of that is just learning to do woodwork and getting better tools. And as my dad says, putty and paint will make it what it aint.

I see these three hole entrances all the time. Three 1" inch holes is about 2.25 sq inches. On a Lang the 3/4 inch by 10 inch entry gives about 7.5 sq inches. Is my math that bad? Are the TBH folk using some info on hive ventilation not understood by Langers? Why do you drill holes, are slots that hard to cut?
    Julysun elevation 23 feet. 4 Hives, 2 years.

I built a top bar based on Corwin Bell's design a few years ago that has a slot just like a Lang.

I have bees in it right now that are very happy that I cut-out a few weeks ago from under a mobile home.

Yesterday I fed them back a bunch of their own honey and I swear they all wanted to hug me.

But anyhow, I want to try Phil Chandler's design to see how well it does. Apparently it has already worked very well for a lot of folks......so we'll see.
    www.savebeesflorida.com (Honeybee removals and top bar hives)

What is the difference besides the entrances in the two hives?

Quote Originally Posted by shannonswyatt View Post
    What is the difference besides the entrances in the two hives?
    I guess the main difference is that Chandler's design has the two follower-boards creating 3 chambers - - main chamber in the middle and two smaller side chambers for splits/nucs and such.

Here's my finished product. I built two of these, but only one is in these photos:

I like the mouse perch!

These mean ol' Florida bees wouldn't give a mouse too much opportunity.

But the lady requested the landing boards. I had to acquiesce.

Here are the close-ups of the hinges and lock-bolts I ended up using.

The lock-bolts I had to get from a boating supply company that are stainless. The hinges, thankfully, she agreed to use the brass hinges I got from Lowe's originally.

Notice the small wood block I had to place behind the latch of the lock-bolt. I had to install those because there was too much play when the bolt was locked that allowed the door to open ever-so-slightly.

(of course I have to show a pic WITH flash and without)

Now the whole thing so you can see the hinges:

Oooops, I'm glad I was looking at these photos closely because I just noticed I left off two mounting screws for the lock-bolt.

Yes, I've read Phil's writtings and understand the philosophy. It sounds really good, but you limit the expansion of your hive or you set yourself up for having to re-arrange the combs if you have large hives that fill out the hive.

You can still inspect from the one end if you use a shortened follower board that you can remove and be at the front of the brood nest. If you put your entrances on one side towards one end you can also use a follower board.

It is what ever works best for the beek. If you like center entrances go with them.
    I started out building two hives exactly to Phil's plan (three center holes), and hived my first package April 2012. I did no rearranging for the winter. Even with our extended cold and wet spring this year, my bees made it through and are still going strong.

That said, many people over at Biobees are re-thinking the center entrances, so I revamped the second hive to have end entrance holes, placed so I could have one top-bar blank, then a follower board, which will allow for inspection of the brood nest without too much disruption.

One of the main reasons Phil uses central entrance holes is to make the hive more mouse proof. Since, after watching my bees coming into the hive loaded down with pollen, I also added landing boards, plus moving the entrances to the end, I had to come up with a mouse excluder.

101_0240.jpg101_0243.jpg

Wow, that is some serious hardware holding that mouse guard in place. I would say that it is Mighty Mouse proof!

Wow, that is some serious hardware holding that mouse guard in place. I would say that it is Mighty Mouse proof!
    Rather than staple the hardware cloth over the entrance (the guard bees get testy when you beat and bang on their home), I decided to use wing nuts so I could change the size of the hardware cloth or remove it completely. I under stand that I will have to use quarter-inch to exclude mice, but I used this half-inch in the early spring to keep out house wrens trying to nest in the unoccupied hives. I cut a piece of eighth-inch in case I need to close them up for some reason, but still give them ventilation. All I need to do is loosen the wing nuts and change or remove the hardware cloth.

I am a 63-year-old, seriously disabled female, doing all my beekeeping alone. I have to do extra work up front so when I have to do something in a hurry, it will be as easy as possible, because I know that will be when my dominant hand and arm will refuse to work. I have learned a lot through mistakes made during my first 18 months at actual beekeeping. Most of all I learned that what works for Phil Chandler in Devon, England, or for Michael Bush in Nebraska, might not work for me in Virginia.

You would be surprised. When doing cutouts the bees hardly seem to notice when cutting through with a circular saw.

I just delivered the two bee hives to the customer today.

I wasn't quite expecting these bees would be living so exquisitely by the beach in St Petersburg, FL - up on a 2nd-floor balcony:

I volunteer to house watch!

Are the hives staying on the porch, or did you just drop them off there?

I volunteer to house watch!

Are the hives staying on the porch, or did you just drop them off there?
    LOL, for REAL.....what a house.

But yes, the hives are staying right there on the 2nd-floor balcony.

Quote Originally Posted by PatBeek View Post
    LOL, for REAL.....what a house.

But yes, the hives are staying right there on the 2nd-floor balcony.
    After seeing the home, I hope you charged extra for all the custom fittings!!

The pictures help explain the all white scheme. They blend in to the balcony. Are they keeping having bees secret from their neighbors?

Quote Originally Posted by Colleen O. View Post
    The pictures help explain the all white scheme. They blend in to the balcony. Are they keeping having bees secret from their neighbors?
    Yes, she is trying to have the stealthy approach. But as far as the neighbors, she's actually more concerned about the aesthetics rather than the bees being any type of nuisance.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast