Hybrid View

Default Let's talk about viewing-windows

Again, I did a search and couldn't find a thread dedicated to just top-bar viewing-windows..................am I wrong?

I am in the process of custom building two hives for a lady and I'm using the general design of Phil Chandler over at biobees.com
    for the overall hive.

I saw someone mentioned over at his forums something about locking hinges. Has anyone here used those?

Please post photos of your viewing-windows and a bit of explanation about what works good about it and what doesn't work.

I was thinking about going with this general design. Any pros or cons I should look out for? (This is not my hive)

Default Re: Let's talk about viewing-windows

Make the window as full length as possible.

My new hive has a window that looks similar. It is hinged on the bottom but my hinges are farther apart and I used two half turn buttons on the top. It does take up most of the side of the hive like Odfrank suggests. If I get a chance I'll add a picture tomorrow.
    Window.jpg
    Last edited by Colleen O.; 07-25-2013 at 11:12 AM. Reason: Add pic

Also, where you cut out the wood, insert a new piece the same size, glued to an additional, bigger piece of wood on the outside. This helps with insulation. I have my window attached with two hinges at the top and a slide lock on the side. I put the hinges at the top, b/c my little kiddos are often the ones peeking in. With the hinges at the top, if they forget to lock the window, the weight closes it somewhat. With the posted picture, if someone leaves the window open, the bees are fully exposed to the light.

Quote Originally Posted by chr157y View Post
    Also, where you cut out the wood, insert a new piece the same size, glued to an additional, bigger piece of wood on the outside. This helps with insulation.
    You could route a lip around a piece of wood too. I thought about doing this because my purchased hive has it but chose not to do it on the one I made. Instead I will put a half inch thick piece of foamboard insulation in between the glass and wood for winter, with tar paper or foil insulation covering the seam. That should give a better R value than the wood.

Make sure to leave room for expansion. I didn't use glass, I used 1/4 inch lexan. Glass would work better I would think, but I was worried about breaking it. It will get messy over time. I use the clasps with the bail on them. They work OK. The next one I may use the lock like you have in the picture. I've been told by the better half that the only hives allowed in the yard have to have windows in them!

Patbeek,
    Try McMaster Carr for your hardware. They have almost anything and they get it to you quick.
    http://www.mcmaster.com/

The pictures help explain the all white scheme. They blend in to the balcony. Are they keeping having bees secret from their neighbors?

Quote Originally Posted by Colleen O. View Post
    The pictures help explain the all white scheme. They blend in to the balcony. Are they keeping having bees secret from their neighbors?
    Yes, she is trying to have the stealthy approach. But as far as the neighbors, she's actually more concerned about the aesthetics rather than the bees being any type of nuisance.
    www.savebeesflorida.com (Honeybee removals and top bar hives)