Default Converting from lang to tbh

So I just got the monthly newsletter from my local beekeepers association. In it they recommended that for a hive to overwinter well in our area it should have either two full deeps or three full mediums of honey. I want to convert this into pounds of honey so I can estimate stores for my top bars hives, but I have no clue how much it would be. Can anyone tell me the equivalent in actual honey that this would be? Thanks in advance,
    Allen

Default Re: Converting from lang to tbh

10 full deep lang frames = about 60 lbs. of honey 10 mediums = about 40 lbs. if that helps

I think the flat lbs per hive is flawed in the first place. How much stores a colony needs is directly related to how many bees you are overwintering. Not all hives have the same size winter cluster. In my opinion, you need a minimum of one frame of capped stores per frame of bees. I prefer two frames of capped stores per frame of bees. Anything more than that is a waste and you should have harvested it. Something in that range works. One frame will keep them from starving. Two will give them enough to build up in the spring nicely. More than two will just get left over. To convert this to a TBH, just change "frame" to "bar".
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Thank you, Tenbears and Michael. My bars, when almost fully drawn and capped weight about 5.5 lb apiece. I will assume this means my hives will need about 20 bars to make it through the winter.
    My hives have windows on the sides, so I will watch the cluster size when I can. I have Carniolans which I were told do really well in my area for several reasons, one of which is their ability to overwinter in a small cluster and still build up quickly in the spring. This is my first year with bees, so I guess that means it is my first year to determine how much they need. I plan on equalizing stores in my two hives and then hoping for the best!

20 bars at 5.5 lbs is 110 lbs of honey. If you have 10 bars of bees in the cluster, that is a very generous winter store. You could get by with half that, with 10 bars of bees, in a pinch. You could get by with a fourth of that (5 bars) with 5 bars of bees in a pinch and 10 bars (55 lbs) would be generous.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

In a top bar hive, when you say 10 or 20 bars of honey, is that including the honey that they back filled into the brood nest, or just the bars that they built specifically for honey? (the bars that are drawn wider)

also, when should I start counting the bars? Right now they have pretty much zero stores until the fall flow starts (soon I hope)

I don't count the cluster and I don't want them to backfill the broodnest. They need somewhere to cluster...