Default New beek seeking some guidance

I bought two 5-frame nucs in May and one has 80% of the second deep body fully drawn with significant amounts of honey and brood. Would it be wise to add a honey super and stop feeding? I'm in south-central Indiana and not sure what (if any) flow is yet to occur. The bees are still taking syrup (easily a half gallon/day). Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Default Re: New beek seeking some guidance

Quote Originally Posted by WhoDey78 View Post
    I bought two 5-frame nucs in May and one has 80% of the second deep body fully drawn with significant amounts of honey and brood. Would it be wise to add a honey super and stop feeding? I'm in south-central Indiana and not sure what (if any) flow is yet to occur. The bees are still taking syrup (easily a half gallon/day). Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
    If they are taking syrup means not much flow. You can add it see what they do and remove it in a few weeks. I doubt they will do much with it.

If you had rain like us in Louisville, temps will be cool for the next week or two, so things like clover and wildflowers may still provide some nectar. Also soybeans will be blooming soon if you have fields near by.

Welcome to Beesource!

When the bees have drawn and filled 70-80% of the lower box is generally recognized as a good time to add an additional box.

As this is a new hive, if you plan to winter in one box, then now would be a good time to stop feeding and add a honey super. If you plan to winter in two boxes, opinions as to whether now is the time to stop feeding will vary.

Personally, I'd stop feeding that hive, but re-evaluate the situation closer to fall. Also, if you continue to feed a weaker hive without also feeding a nearby strong hive, be alert for possible robbing of the weaker hive.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Thanks for the advice. I do have quite a bit of clover in my yard and surrounds grassy areas. While inspecting the hive today, I noticed the top deep has much more honey than brood and the bottom deep has more brood and pollen than honey. The area around the brood where the honey is generally stored is mostly dry. I do have full frames of honey in the upper box. Will they transfer that to the bottom?

Given the new discovery of honey up top and little in the bottom, would it be advisable to continue feeding?

Thanks for the advice. I do have quite a bit of clover in my yard and surrounds grassy areas. While inspecting the hive today, I noticed the top deep has much more honey than brood and the bottom deep has more brood and pollen than honey. The area around the brood where the honey is generally stored is mostly dry. I do have full frames of honey in the upper box. Will they transfer that to the bottom?

Given the new discovery of honey up top and little in the bottom, would it be advisable to continue feeding?
    The brood nest and honey sounds normal. The empty cells may have eggs or being prepared for queen to bomb out. Yes they will move and consume stores as needed. The nurse bees eat the pollen and honey to secrete royal jelly to feed larva the first few days, they then feed nectar, diluted honey/pollen untiil capped. Like sidetrack mentioned, If 80% of your deeps are fully drawn, then put a shallow super on see what they do. My big hives in louisville are still bringing in nectar since we've had soooooo much rain. I suppose your bees are bringing in nectar/pollen too from wild vines, clover, lilies, wilflowers (black-eyed susans) though probably not enough to support massive expansive hence why they are taking syrup.

I generally only feed in fall, during drought, or when trying to build up a split or nuc. And when I do feed its not continous. Fill up a bottle or two, wait a week or two and repeat. Small hives trying to build up with less foragers and knowledge of surroundings will comsume syrup more readily then established large hives.

I added a honey super and I'll give it a few weeks to see if it produces anything. The goldenrod is just starting to bloom and there is quite a bit of clover nearby, so hopefully they'll find plenty of nectar.

I added a honey super and I'll give it a few weeks to see if it produces anything. The goldenrod is just starting to bloom and there is quite a bit of clover nearby, so hopefully they'll find plenty of nectar.
    Good luck who dey. We don't have goldenrod yet in Louisville, good to know its almost here. Should be a decent crop. Soy beans just started blooming here, seeing bees allover the field. Clover is pretty much done for, seeing some small patches mostly dead heads gone to seed, not too much new growth or flowers.

I grew up in suburbs of cinci (Mason, Oh). Big bengals fan. WHO DEY!!!