Default Best types of bees

I bought my first bees this spring. They're MN Hygenics. I don't think I've seen them mentioned on here. Are they not a good variety for some reason?

Default Re: Best types of bees

Everyone has different opinions on the best bee, but I have heard MN Hygenics are a bit meaner. IMHO, local survivor stock is best.

The best type are the ones you can keep alive. I have 4 hives of Carniolans and 2 hives of Italians. The Carniolans leave me alone, but the Italians don't like me messing around their hive. We will see how the honey production is this Fall, but right now, my vote would be for Carniolans.

I have used some MN Hygenics for several years. I have found them to be a good bee, both in temper and in varroa resistance.

This year's package I picked up in Springfield MO and they are Minnesota Hygienic bees. They are a bit more defensive than the Italians and Carniolans I had last year but not unreasonably so. I saw one biting the head of a SHB the other day which, if it is a trait, is a quality in their favor. The original queen took off with a swarm and this was a worker in a nuc with one of her daughters so really Minnesota Hygienic X Mutt now.

I have quite the mixed bag, I have spent several years diversifying my apiaries, in an attempt to find a bee that will somehow fill the expectations and requirements of todays bees, I have Russians, Caucasians Carolinians, Italians, bweaver strain, Mn strain and mixtures of all from they all have different habits modes and methods, their temperaments and production vary widely. some are so passive that I can work them with no vale, while others go berserk if I simply move the entrance reducer. or adjust the cover. as of today I believe the best bees are those you like, and I have now discovered I like them all, Just for different reasons.

I have only had MN Hygenics (3 packages over 3 years).
    They keep a clean house.
    They are really productive this year.
    They dont get mad at me when I do stupid newbee things to their hives.
    I havent been stung... yet.

Their a bunch of sweeties! Ive been very happy with them.

How are yours doing Kenww?

Mine were very docile until I tried to fixe some crossed combs a couple weeks ago. They haven't forgiven me yet. Very aggressive since then. I'm going to mostly stay out of them for a few weeks. Need to go in once more and make sure the comb in the new box s straight.

I have another hive with a swarm I caught. I'm wanting to end up with some hardy mutts.

Colleen, there's a good chance we have the same supplier. Got mine in Stockton, mo but they sell in Springfield. Neil Brunner. Can't remember the company name.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenww View Post
    I bought my first bees this spring. They're MN Hygenics. I don't think I've seen them mentioned on here. Are they not a good variety for some reason?
    Ken the best bees for your location are MSMs. M=Missouri S=Survivor M=Mutts

I'm going try for more swarms next year to up the mutt ratio. Really like to get a feral swarm next year.

The bees I bought came from Our Green Thumb Farm. Seemed like good people to deal with. We had an extremely wet spring. I thing the bees have done well considering all the rain. They're jus starting on the third 10 frame medium. I've fed only 3 pints. Think we're about to get soybeans and wild flowers blooming so I think they'll be set by fall. Hope anyway.

Colleen, there's a good chance we have the same supplier. Got mine in Stockton, mo but they sell in Springfield. Neil Brunner. Can't remember the company name.
    Yup, same. I thought it may have been. I seem to remember him saying they were out of Louisiana.

With last year's bees I could change a feeder without suiting up but these gals don't let me get away with that. Otherwise it has been about the same.

Think you'll get any honey from the new hive this year, Colleen?

Think you'll get any honey from the new hive this year, Colleen?
    Unfortunately no. Since I expected that going in this year has been about increase. I don't want to have to buy bees again next year so I now have a few nucs to overwinter. (I split, they swarmed anyway so I made another nuc with the extra queen cells, etc...) I hope to come out of winter with bees for my two hives either from the hive or the nucs. If even one makes it I might get some honey next year. Last year wasn't a total loss as I learned a lot and also having drawn comb to start on this year was a real boost.

What about you? Do you think you will get some honey to harvest this year?

If this was a typicAl summer, I wouldn't expect anything. There's more moisture than usual and soybeans haven't stArted blooming yet. There should be lots of weeds and wild flowers. I think there is some chance. These are my first bees though so I am really just guessing.