Default beeswax pastilles (pellets)

Does anyone know how to make these? I couldn't find anything searching this site or even Google. They are the little beads of beeswax that you find in craft stores. I've had a lot of requests for them because they are called for in recipes for many candles and other crafts. Customers who ask for them don't seem to be interested any other form of wax - even the little 1 oz. blocks. The pellets appear to be flat on one side and round on the other so I thought dropping barely melted wax on a cold surface might work but it just splattered.

Default Re: beeswax pastilles (pellets)

deleted post - proprietary

I have no idea if this would work, but have you tried dripping wax into very cold water?

I know that Dippin Dots ice cream is made using liquid nitrogen, but I don't think you want to mess with (or pay for) that stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by awebber96 View Post
    I have no idea if this would work, but have you tried dripping wax into very cold water?

I know that Dippin Dots ice cream is made using liquid nitrogen, but I don't think you want to mess with (or pay for) that stuff.
    Dropping wax into cold water should work. Basically you super cool a droplet of wax before gravity has time to flatten out.

When purifying/cleaning wax from a tear out. I sprayed a bucket of semi-hot strained wax and water mix with cold water from a outside hose (high pressure spray type nozzle) and formed basically powder wax. Super small granules. The powder melted very quickly but was messy to deal with. Small spheres would be easier to handle.
    Last edited by burns375; 07-24-2013 at 10:20 PM.

I also believe its somehow evenly dropped in water.
    Dan

what about half cooled wax through an extrude cutter similar to cutting some pastas?

Try this website naturalllivingmamma.com/tag/make-your-own-bees-wax-pellets/

they have a step by step way of doing it.
    Last edited by WarriorWoman; 12-24-2013 at 12:33 AM. Reason: here's to add more info

The URL in post #7 doesn't work - there are 3 "L"s instead of 2 "L"s. Here is a working link:
    http://naturallivingmamma.com/2012/0...sier-crafting/

However, the method offered at that link results in beeswax "blobs" rather than uniform pellets.

I don't know how wax pellets are typically made in the modern industrial world. But the issues in making round pellets out of molten beeswax are similar to those faced by 18th century bullet makers. Their solution was the drop tower, where "drops" of molten material were dropped into a pool of water. Due to the height of the tower, surface tension formed the drop into a mostly round form by the time it hit the cooling water.

A number of these drop towers still exist as historical artifacts in the US and other places around the world. See the link for more info.

And as a special Christmas treat, a paper on a modern (2004) method of making wax pellets in a specialized machine version of a drop tower - it appears to be less than 6 ft tall:
    http://www.chemeng.tsinghua.edu.cn/s...ranulation.pdf
    Last edited by Rader Sidetrack; 12-24-2013 at 06:54 AM. Reason: add more
    -- Victor Hugo -- "Common sense is in spite of, not the result of, education.

They are made using large auger extruder machines (think huge heated meatgrinder that cuts off the wax as it comes out into a cooling water flow). that is also how they make the raw plastic pellets for the plastics industry. You can buy them from China via Alibaba for about $8,000 and up.

The way they make lead buckshot for shotguns is to pour melted lead through a sieve and let it fall a long ways (100ft_) into a pool of water. The size of the hole in the sieve determines the size of the pellets. You could do the same with wax only you would not have to let it fall very far as you don't care if it is not perfectly round.