Default Panty Hose As A Filter

Did my first melt down of super cappings yesterday. These are last years cappings that I saved. Water was really dirty and a lot of gunk settled on the bottom after it dried. Tonight I scraped off the gunk best I could. I cut the wax into pieces and put them in a new set of panty hose. Boiled some water and placed them in.The wax melted through them great and caught a lot/most of the gunk. It's cooling now but the wax looks 1000 times better. I'll see what it looks like in the morning once it totally cool.

If I need to filter it again what would be even a finer filter to use to get a total clean?
    Chuck Norris has a grizzly bear carpet in his room. The bear isn't dead it is just afraid to move.

Default Re: Panty Hose As A Filter

Use one layer of heavy duty paper towel. I line a stainless steel BBQ basket. Drains into a SS pan with distilled water in it. Did this yesterday and it looks completely clean and beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambone View Post
    I cut the wax into pieces and put them in a new set of panty hose. Boiled some water and placed them in.The wax melted through them great and caught a lot/most of the gunk.
    Brilliant! I've been trying to figure out how the filter mine with panty hose, but couldn't figure out the best way. My "Eureka" moment. Thanks.

I use old t shirt material for a filter.Works for me.
    54+ years 30 colonies Treat using Hopguard and essential oils
    http://99-40.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bee Bliss View Post
    Use one layer of heavy duty paper towel. I line a stainless steel BBQ basket. Drains into a SS pan with distilled water in it. Did this yesterday and it looks completely clean and beautiful.
    Does the melted wax get through the paper towel towel before it gets cool enough to set up?
    Janne....first hives April 2013, 19 hives, treat, plant zone 8b, at sea level, latitude 49.13, longitude 123.06

I am writing about using a solar melter where the whole thing is inside the melter and the temperature is above the melting point of beeswax (between 145 and 147 degrees F.) The water in the pan below would also be above the melting point of beeswax.

I use a paper towel in my solar melting set up with no problems.

My solar melter is a mixing bowl about half full of water. Paper towel stretched over that and held by rubber band. Set the bowl in a large steel or aluminum stock pot in the full sun. Pile comb on the towel. Put a glass pane over the pot and walk away. Melts and filters wax great at temps above 75 or so.

This is a takeoff of a Fatbeeman contraption.

How much wax can you melt at a time with that? The wax doesn't tear the paper towel?
    In Vancouver I will have wait for a very hot day!

I have a 20 litre stainless stock pot but do you think a large metal trash can would work?
    Janne....first hives April 2013, 19 hives, treat, plant zone 8b, at sea level, latitude 49.13, longitude 123.06

You are only limited by the surface area of the towel. It won't break through. When you have melted your wax, throw away the dirty towel or use it for swarm trap lure.

All you need is a container to set the bowl in and cover with glass. An ice chest will also work as they are reflective inside and insulated.

The concept is the same as leaving Chapstick on your car dash on a sunny, warm day.

There are several Youtube videos of similar contraptions out there. I thought the paper towel would tear through. It never does.

I melted a large paper grocery bag full of comb last weekend. I switched towels once because the first was clogging with the filtered out stuff.

If it is hot enough outside, you get a uniform wax wafer. If not, you get a clump of wax made of bonded wax drippings. You can either melt that to form or, as I do, leave it as is.