Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Growing trees inside your house?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick S. View Post
    Oh that's pretty cool, never thought about citrus trees really since I was so focused on the nectar wiki list. How big do the dwarf citrus trees get? Thanks!
    I first saw it at a farm I stayed at in Sienna Italy (Agroturismo). They had huge beautiful terracotta pots filled with lemon trees that they kept in an old carriage house over winter and brought out during spring/summer/fall. I have a grapefruit, lime, and lemon. They are dwarf so I think they get between 6 to 8 feet tall but the container and pruning keep them manageable, similar to the principle of bonsai. I have terracotta looking (plastic - reduces weight) containers with watering reservoirs in the bottoms. At this time of year I have to water daily. Mine bloom more than once a year so I generally get a winter bloom inside too. The blooms smell heavenly, especially the red grapefruit. I got them before I even thought of keeping bees for the fruit and blossoms, being a nectar source is a bonus. The dwarf Meyer Lemon was sold at one of the big box stores here this summer in small pots for a reasonable price. That one is more cold hearty. I had one but it was an old, poor or off, version of the hybrid and I got rid of it in favor of a real lemon tree.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenww View Post
    I think they sell some tree seeds not sure which kinds. Mostly the sell small 6-18" trees. I would think they'd do good in a pot since they don't grow very fast or very big. You might need two for pollination. Think they fruit in just 3-4 years, so you'd have plenty of seeds by then. The other wild plums don't get too big either, depending on how much room you have.

My bees like forsythia. It's a shrub so you can keep it cut as short as you want. Bright yellow flowers. The spread from the roots some. If you know anyone who has one, you could probably dig up a start. Think you can buy them anywhere
    That's pretty cool, I'll look for into the site and the forsythia thanks!

I first saw it at a farm I stayed at in Sienna Italy (Agroturismo). They had huge beautiful terracotta pots filled with lemon trees that they kept in an old carriage house over winter and brought out during spring/summer/fall. I have a grapefruit, lime, and lemon. They are dwarf so I think they get between 6 to 8 feet tall but the container and pruning keep them manageable, similar to the principle of bonsai. I have terracotta looking (plastic - reduces weight) containers with watering reservoirs in the bottoms. At this time of year I have to water daily. Mine bloom more than once a year so I generally get a winter bloom inside too. The blooms smell heavenly, especially the red grapefruit. I got them before I even thought of keeping bees for the fruit and blossoms, being a nectar source is a bonus. The dwarf Meyer Lemon was sold at one of the big box stores here this summer in small pots for a reasonable price. That one is more cold hearty. I had one but it was an old, poor or off, version of the hybrid and I got rid of it in favor of a real lemon tree.
    Ooo, that doesn't sound too bad. I like the idea of a mini grapefruit tree haha. However the problem comes about with a plant that needs direct sunlight, the windows I have don't really provide much, and the ones that do are already taken up by smaller plants and such.

Has anyone heard of a dwarf tulip poplar? It would be really interesting if they did manage to get a dwarf one!

The two biggest problems with growing indoors. 1. providing enough light. We are not talking about light you can see by. we are talking about light that replicates the sun. you know that stuff that will cause your skin to peel of if you stay in it to long.

2. since you can really never come close to replicating the sun. when you fist move your plants into real sun. they will not like. it. in fact full sun will kill them. you have to do is slowly and carefully.

Finally growing plants indoors is not he same as growing them outdoors. be ready for the change.
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

Nick, if you don't mind a personal question, I was wondering about your college plans? It sounds like you should be studying botany or something related to bees. I wish I'd gone with botany and done plant breeding. Most people don't realize how precarious the world food supply is overall. I wouldn't say that it's precarious in the US. Developing new varieties of plants or hArdier strains of bees could really make a difference. I'm not sure if anyone is even working on breeding better plants the natural wAy. I don't like genetically engeneering plants so they can stand more chemicals.

My BA is in Sociology.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenww View Post
    Nick, if you don't mind a personal question, I was wondering about your college plans? It sounds like you should be studying botany or something related to bees. I wish I'd gone with botany and done plant breeding. Most people don't realize how precarious the world food supply is overall. I wouldn't say that it's precarious in the US. Developing new varieties of plants or hArdier strains of bees could really make a difference. I'm not sure if anyone is even working on breeding better plants the natural wAy. I don't like genetically engeneering plants so they can stand more chemicals.

My BA is in Sociology.
    I'm actually going to be majoring in zoology with emphasis on entomology and I hope to study pollinators, such as honey bees, and their overall impact on the environment and interaction with plants. Hopefully I'll be able to land a job that helps with agriculture and the lack of pollinators around now. I prefer natural plants as well.

That sounds like a good plan.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12