Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    66

    Default Growing trees inside your house?

    I'm thinking about buy some tree seeds (Goldenrain to be exact) and I'm planning to grow them inside my house or dorm (if permits). I'm thinking a bit ahead in the future, since I won't be able to keep bees until 5+ years, that I'll be able to start grow some of the plants that I'll be using my garden in the future. And since trees take a while to grow and they're pretty expensive once they're well started I thought it would be worth a shot to start growing some of them. Has anyone ever done this? Can someone think of any major problems? Thanks!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    West Harrison, IN
    Posts
    24

    Default Re: Growing trees inside your house?

    I have a maple seedling that volunteered in my landscape bedding last spring. In just over a year it is 10' tall. You would have trouble keeping something like that inside. Now... I don't know the growth habits of a golden rain tree, but I woul think it would be difficult to keep them inside.

    Do you have a yard? You could probably container grow them for a few years til you have a permanent place.

    http://www.rootmaker.com/

    Something like the white root trapper bags would probably work for you and you would have a great root ball ready to go when you planted.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    66

    Default Re: Growing trees inside your house?

    Quote Originally Posted by salunra View Post
    I have a maple seedling that volunteered in my landscape bedding last spring. In just over a year it is 10' tall. You would have trouble keeping something like that inside. Now... I don't know the growth habits of a golden rain tree, but I woul think it would be difficult to keep them inside.

    Do you have a yard? You could probably container grow them for a few years til you have a permanent place.

    http://www.rootmaker.com/

    Something like the white root trapper bags would probably work for you and you would have a great root ball ready to go when you planted.
    Woah, that's pretty tall! I didn't mean to keep it inside for the entire time, just until it reached about a foot or so and I know that it'll be able to survive or at least have a high chance.

    I do have a yard, and I was actually planning to plant it there after a year or so. How long are you able to container grow them?

    Thanks for the site, I'll read through it!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    West Harrison, IN
    Posts
    24

    Default Re: Growing trees inside your house?

    They will grow to a foot pretty quickly. My maple sapling came up in the spring last year and by the time fall hit it was a,ready over 3' tall.

    I watched the slides how presentation on that site and they had some pretty big trees in those containers. It is worth a look. I don't really know though. I don't container grow trees.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    66

    Default Re: Growing trees inside your house?

    Quote Originally Posted by salunra View Post
    They will grow to a foot pretty quickly. My maple sapling came up in the spring last year and by the time fall hit it was a,ready over 3' tall.

    I watched the slides how presentation on that site and they had some pretty big trees in those containers. It is worth a look. I don't really know though. I don't container grow trees.
    Oh wow that's pretty quick!

    Oh okay, I'll take a look! I also changed my mind about getting Golden Rain since I read it was pretty invasive. Maybe Black Locust if it doesn't get too big.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Nevada, MO
    Posts
    204

    Default Re: Growing trees inside your house?

    Maples grow faster than most trees. I had dwarf apples in pots for several years. It worked very well, but the were outside. Most trees need a lot of light. You'd need a really sunny room or a grow light. I'd just

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Nevada, MO
    Posts
    204

    Default Re: Growing trees inside your house?

    Planted it in the ground if you're going to live there more than a few years unless you plant some that isn't very hardy.

    Locust is very invasive and usually thorny. They can puncture tires. I think there are some without thorns. I've heard bees love them. I know more about trees than bees.
    Actually, I think I'd go with a dual purpose fruit/nectar tree. Montmorency cherrys are fairly small and don't require spraying. The bees like my apple and pear trees too. Plum would probably be good too. Mine havent really bloomed yet but I've seen lots of bees on wild plums. Oikos Tree Crops is a good place for native plants. They are mostly very small plants but healthy. I'm into edible landscaping. A tree can be productive and still very ornamental.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    66

    Default Re: Growing trees inside your house?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kenww View Post
    Maples grow faster than most trees. I had dwarf apples in pots for several years. It worked very well, but the were outside. Most trees need a lot of light. You'd need a really sunny room or a grow light. I'd just
    I'm actually planning on keeping red maple and black locust now, but I'd only be keeping them inside until they get about a foot or they're well started. I'll invest in a grow light, but how long should I keep it on? And then when they're well started I plan on moving them outside. Would that cause any problems? Or would it work? I'm planning to keep them in pots/containers until I get my own place which will take a couple of years, would that be okay?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    66

    Default Re: Growing trees inside your house?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kenww View Post
    Planted it in the ground if you're going to live there more than a few years unless you plant some that isn't very hardy.

    Locust is very invasive and usually thorny. They can puncture tires. I think there are some without thorns. I've heard bees love them. I know more about trees than bees.
    Actually, I think I'd go with a dual purpose fruit/nectar tree. Montmorency cherrys are fairly small and don't require spraying. The bees like my apple and pear trees too. Plum would probably be good too. Mine havent really bloomed yet but I've seen lots of bees on wild plums. Oikos Tree Crops is a good place for native plants. They are mostly very small plants but healthy. I'm into edible landscaping. A tree can be productive and still very ornamental.
    I'm going to be off in college so I want to make sure they're well taken care of at my parents haha. Since I'm just going to be starting college I still have quite a bit time left. I've heard bees love black locust too so that's why I want to get it, and since it is invasive I'll make sure to use caution.

    I don't really mind if it had fruit or not, I just want to make sure the bees will love it and that it won't get too big, but also that they won't bloom too late also. I'm still keeping my eyes open for trees tho!

    I don't want it to grow too big since I do plan on moving it once I get my own place btw haha

    Thanks!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Nevada, MO
    Posts
    204

    Default Re: Growing trees inside your house?

    I think you'd want about 12 hours of light. I haven't grown trees from seed but I know that some kinds of seeds won't germinate until they're stratified. You have to simulate a winter by keeping them cold and damp for weeks or months. I don't know about maple or locust specifically. They seem grow be very hardy. I'd just plant a handful of seeds for each tree you want, outside in early winter. They'll be fine. Loosen up the soil a little and and don't plant them very deep. They don't get buried very deeply in nature. Thin them to the best trees as soon as they're up good.

    I really would not plant locust in the yard unless you can find a thornless s strain. Saw some somewhere, maybe oikos.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Nevada, MO
    Posts
    204

    Default Re: Growing trees inside your house?

    I guess I didn't make it clear that I'd plant them outside first even if I was going to pot them.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    66

    Default Re: Growing trees inside your house?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kenww View Post
    I think you'd want about 12 hours of light. I haven't grown trees from seed but I know that some kinds of seeds won't germinate until they're stratified. You have to simulate a winter by keeping them cold and damp for weeks or months. I don't know about maple or locust specifically. They seem grow be very hardy. I'd just plant a handful of seeds for each tree you want, outside in early winter. They'll be fine. Loosen up the soil a little and and don't plant them very deep. They don't get buried very deeply in nature. Thin them to the best trees as soon as they're up good.

    I really would not plant locust in the yard unless you can find a seedless strain. Saw some somewhere, maybe oikos.
    Well, after doing some more research I'll actually pass on growing them indoors, and seeing as the amount they'll grow in 5-7 years, it'll be more of a hassle if I move farther away from my parents house, unless I find a way to keep them inside a pot. However, I'm still into growing some smaller plants indoor if possible. The later one when they get larger I'll be able to move them outside when the season turns around.

    I'll take your word for it then, thanks!

    And edible gardening sounds pretty cool, I planned on doing that, but I want bees to be attracted to the plants as well and I've heard that bees ignore some types of fruits and vegetables.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Nevada, MO
    Posts
    204

    Default Re: Growing trees inside your house?

    I know locust are supposed to produce a lot of nectar. I read somewhere that catalpa is also. Don't think it's very common. Really neat tree. Big round leaves. Lots of big white blooms. I think I read that on Wikipedia nectar sources of n America. I could probably find you some seeds this fall if you're interested.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    66

    Default Re: Growing trees inside your house?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kenww View Post
    I know locust are supposed to produce a lot of nectar. I read somewhere that catalpa is also. Don't think it's very common. Really neat tree. Big round leaves. Lots of big white blooms. I think I read that on Wikipedia nectar sources of n America. I could probably find you some seeds this fall if you're interested.
    I think I'll actually hold back on the trees until a few years when I know I'm getting my own place and such haha. After rethinking everything I figured that would be a much better idea since I'll be probably moving far away from my parents house once I get my own place and then by then it might be impossible to move. But thanks for the offer! Do you know of any small trees or trees that are slow growers that still produce a good amount of nectar or pollen?

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    St. Louis, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    627

    Default Re: Growing trees inside your house?

    I have dwarf citrus trees planted in large containers that I take outside every spring and bring inside every fall. My bees were all over them this year. I've had the trees for several years but when they are inside I keep them as close to under my skylights as possible without messing up furniture arrangement and traffic flow. They come inside right before the first freeze and go out after the last frost.

    I had two dwarf apple trees in containers on my apartment patio for a few years before I bought my house. They did okay in the containers but didn't make the transition to being planted in the ground so I had to plant replacements. There were some extra factors at play though.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Nevada, MO
    Posts
    204

    Default Re: Growing trees inside your house?

    I was wrong about the catalpa. It's a minor source. Neat tree though. I was thinking of Linden/bass wood. It sounds great . Not sure how to I'd it. It's supposed to be native here.

    I didn't mean to discourage you. I'm sorry abou thatJust thought you should look at other options. I do things that aren't recommend all the time. I have a fig tree and a couple apricots no one grows them around here and it probably won't work out, but I'll have fun trying.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    66

    Default Re: Growing trees inside your house?

    Quote Originally Posted by Colleen O. View Post
    I have dwarf citrus trees planted in large containers that I take outside every spring and bring inside every fall. My bees were all over them this year. I've had the trees for several years but when they are inside I keep them as close to under my skylights as possible without messing up furniture arrangement and traffic flow. They come inside right before the first freeze and go out after the last frost.

    I had two dwarf apple trees in containers on my apartment patio for a few years before I bought my house. They did okay in the containers but didn't make the transition to being planted in the ground so I had to plant replacements. There were some extra factors at play though.
    Oh that's pretty cool, never thought about citrus trees really since I was so focused on the nectar wiki list. How big do the dwarf citrus trees get? Thanks!

    Quote Originally Posted by Kenww View Post
    I was wrong about the catalpa. It's a minor source. Neat tree though. I was thinking of Linden/bass wood. It sounds great . Not sure how to I'd it. It's supposed to be native here.

    I didn't mean to discourage you. I'm sorry abou thatJust thought you should look at other options. I do things that aren't recommend all the time. I have a fig tree and a couple apricots no one grows them around here and it probably won't work out, but I'll have fun trying.
    I've heard of them, we have a few around here and if my memory is right they were pretty big haha
    You didn't discourage me so no need to apologize! I just got caught in the moment about planting trees and such haha. Now I'm just looking for either very slow growing or small trees and plants that can be brought inside and taken outside during different seasons. And I appreciate your opinion! Especially since you have quite a bit of experience! Thanks!

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Nevada, MO
    Posts
    204

    Default Re: Growing trees inside your house?

    You said small and slow growing. Nana dwarf beach plum. Think it only gets about 3' tall. They are a selection of wild plums. My bees love the wild plum thicket on the farm I keep them at. It might be a good starter for your collection. They have them at oikos. No I don't work there. There aren't too many sources for unusual native plants.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    66

    Default Re: Growing trees inside your house?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kenww View Post
    You said small and slow growing. Nana dwarf beach plum. Think it only gets about 3' tall. They are a selection of wild plums. My bees love the wild plum thicket on the farm I keep them at. It might be a good starter for your collection. They have them at oikos. No I don't work there. There aren't too many sources for unusual native plants.
    That sounds great! Are they sold as seeds? I'd love to be able to grow my own! Haha. Are they able to survive in a pot or container of sorts also? Thanks!

    Also do you know of any small, slow growing flowering trees that don't fruit?

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Nevada, MO
    Posts
    204

    Default Re: Growing trees inside your house?

    I think they sell some tree seeds not sure which kinds. Mostly the sell small 6-18" trees. I would think they'd do good in a pot since they don't grow very fast or very big. You might need two for pollination. Think they fruit in just 3-4 years, so you'd have plenty of seeds by then. The other wild plums don't get too big either, depending on how much room you have.

    My bees like forsythia. It's a shrub so you can keep it cut as short as you want. Bright yellow flowers. The spread from the roots some. If you know anyone who has one, you could probably dig up a start. Think you can buy them anywhere

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Ads