Hybrid View

Default Growing trees inside your house?

I'm thinking about buy some tree seeds (Goldenrain to be exact) and I'm planning to grow them inside my house or dorm (if permits). I'm thinking a bit ahead in the future, since I won't be able to keep bees until 5+ years, that I'll be able to start grow some of the plants that I'll be using my garden in the future. And since trees take a while to grow and they're pretty expensive once they're well started I thought it would be worth a shot to start growing some of them. Has anyone ever done this? Can someone think of any major problems? Thanks!

Default Re: Growing trees inside your house?

I have a maple seedling that volunteered in my landscape bedding last spring. In just over a year it is 10' tall. You would have trouble keeping something like that inside. Now... I don't know the growth habits of a golden rain tree, but I woul think it would be difficult to keep them inside.

Do you have a yard? You could probably container grow them for a few years til you have a permanent place.

http://www.rootmaker.com/

Something like the white root trapper bags would probably work for you and you would have a great root ball ready to go when you planted.

Quote Originally Posted by salunra View Post
    I have a maple seedling that volunteered in my landscape bedding last spring. In just over a year it is 10' tall. You would have trouble keeping something like that inside. Now... I don't know the growth habits of a golden rain tree, but I woul think it would be difficult to keep them inside.

Do you have a yard? You could probably container grow them for a few years til you have a permanent place.

http://www.rootmaker.com/

Something like the white root trapper bags would probably work for you and you would have a great root ball ready to go when you planted.
    Woah, that's pretty tall! I didn't mean to keep it inside for the entire time, just until it reached about a foot or so and I know that it'll be able to survive or at least have a high chance.

I do have a yard, and I was actually planning to plant it there after a year or so. How long are you able to container grow them?

Thanks for the site, I'll read through it!

They will grow to a foot pretty quickly. My maple sapling came up in the spring last year and by the time fall hit it was a,ready over 3' tall.

I watched the slides how presentation on that site and they had some pretty big trees in those containers. It is worth a look. I don't really know though. I don't container grow trees.

Quote Originally Posted by salunra View Post
    They will grow to a foot pretty quickly. My maple sapling came up in the spring last year and by the time fall hit it was a,ready over 3' tall.

I watched the slides how presentation on that site and they had some pretty big trees in those containers. It is worth a look. I don't really know though. I don't container grow trees.
    Oh wow that's pretty quick!

Oh okay, I'll take a look! I also changed my mind about getting Golden Rain since I read it was pretty invasive. Maybe Black Locust if it doesn't get too big.

Maples grow faster than most trees. I had dwarf apples in pots for several years. It worked very well, but the were outside. Most trees need a lot of light. You'd need a really sunny room or a grow light. I'd just

Quote Originally Posted by Colleen O. View Post
    I have dwarf citrus trees planted in large containers that I take outside every spring and bring inside every fall. My bees were all over them this year. I've had the trees for several years but when they are inside I keep them as close to under my skylights as possible without messing up furniture arrangement and traffic flow. They come inside right before the first freeze and go out after the last frost.

I had two dwarf apple trees in containers on my apartment patio for a few years before I bought my house. They did okay in the containers but didn't make the transition to being planted in the ground so I had to plant replacements. There were some extra factors at play though.
    Oh that's pretty cool, never thought about citrus trees really since I was so focused on the nectar wiki list. How big do the dwarf citrus trees get? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Kenww View Post
    I was wrong about the catalpa. It's a minor source. Neat tree though. I was thinking of Linden/bass wood. It sounds great . Not sure how to I'd it. It's supposed to be native here.

I didn't mean to discourage you. I'm sorry abou thatJust thought you should look at other options. I do things that aren't recommend all the time. I have a fig tree and a couple apricots no one grows them around here and it probably won't work out, but I'll have fun trying.
    I've heard of them, we have a few around here and if my memory is right they were pretty big haha
    You didn't discourage me so no need to apologize! I just got caught in the moment about planting trees and such haha. Now I'm just looking for either very slow growing or small trees and plants that can be brought inside and taken outside during different seasons. And I appreciate your opinion! Especially since you have quite a bit of experience! Thanks!

You said small and slow growing. Nana dwarf beach plum. Think it only gets about 3' tall. They are a selection of wild plums. My bees love the wild plum thicket on the farm I keep them at. It might be a good starter for your collection. They have them at oikos. No I don't work there. There aren't too many sources for unusual native plants.
    That sounds great! Are they sold as seeds? I'd love to be able to grow my own! Haha. Are they able to survive in a pot or container of sorts also? Thanks!

Also do you know of any small, slow growing flowering trees that don't fruit?

I think they sell some tree seeds not sure which kinds. Mostly the sell small 6-18" trees. I would think they'd do good in a pot since they don't grow very fast or very big. You might need two for pollination. Think they fruit in just 3-4 years, so you'd have plenty of seeds by then. The other wild plums don't get too big either, depending on how much room you have.

My bees like forsythia. It's a shrub so you can keep it cut as short as you want. Bright yellow flowers. The spread from the roots some. If you know anyone who has one, you could probably dig up a start. Think you can buy them anywhere

I think they sell some tree seeds not sure which kinds. Mostly the sell small 6-18" trees. I would think they'd do good in a pot since they don't grow very fast or very big. You might need two for pollination. Think they fruit in just 3-4 years, so you'd have plenty of seeds by then. The other wild plums don't get too big either, depending on how much room you have.

My bees like forsythia. It's a shrub so you can keep it cut as short as you want. Bright yellow flowers. The spread from the roots some. If you know anyone who has one, you could probably dig up a start. Think you can buy them anywhere
    That's pretty cool, I'll look for into the site and the forsythia thanks!

I first saw it at a farm I stayed at in Sienna Italy (Agroturismo). They had huge beautiful terracotta pots filled with lemon trees that they kept in an old carriage house over winter and brought out during spring/summer/fall. I have a grapefruit, lime, and lemon. They are dwarf so I think they get between 6 to 8 feet tall but the container and pruning keep them manageable, similar to the principle of bonsai. I have terracotta looking (plastic - reduces weight) containers with watering reservoirs in the bottoms. At this time of year I have to water daily. Mine bloom more than once a year so I generally get a winter bloom inside too. The blooms smell heavenly, especially the red grapefruit. I got them before I even thought of keeping bees for the fruit and blossoms, being a nectar source is a bonus. The dwarf Meyer Lemon was sold at one of the big box stores here this summer in small pots for a reasonable price. That one is more cold hearty. I had one but it was an old, poor or off, version of the hybrid and I got rid of it in favor of a real lemon tree.
    Ooo, that doesn't sound too bad. I like the idea of a mini grapefruit tree haha. However the problem comes about with a plant that needs direct sunlight, the windows I have don't really provide much, and the ones that do are already taken up by smaller plants and such.

Has anyone heard of a dwarf tulip poplar? It would be really interesting if they did manage to get a dwarf one!

The two biggest problems with growing indoors. 1. providing enough light. We are not talking about light you can see by. we are talking about light that replicates the sun. you know that stuff that will cause your skin to peel of if you stay in it to long.

2. since you can really never come close to replicating the sun. when you fist move your plants into real sun. they will not like. it. in fact full sun will kill them. you have to do is slowly and carefully.

Finally growing plants indoors is not he same as growing them outdoors. be ready for the change.
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

Nick, if you don't mind a personal question, I was wondering about your college plans? It sounds like you should be studying botany or something related to bees. I wish I'd gone with botany and done plant breeding. Most people don't realize how precarious the world food supply is overall. I wouldn't say that it's precarious in the US. Developing new varieties of plants or hArdier strains of bees could really make a difference. I'm not sure if anyone is even working on breeding better plants the natural wAy. I don't like genetically engeneering plants so they can stand more chemicals.

My BA is in Sociology.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick S. View Post
    Oh that's pretty cool, never thought about citrus trees really since I was so focused on the nectar wiki list. How big do the dwarf citrus trees get? Thanks!
    I first saw it at a farm I stayed at in Sienna Italy (Agroturismo). They had huge beautiful terracotta pots filled with lemon trees that they kept in an old carriage house over winter and brought out during spring/summer/fall. I have a grapefruit, lime, and lemon. They are dwarf so I think they get between 6 to 8 feet tall but the container and pruning keep them manageable, similar to the principle of bonsai. I have terracotta looking (plastic - reduces weight) containers with watering reservoirs in the bottoms. At this time of year I have to water daily. Mine bloom more than once a year so I generally get a winter bloom inside too. The blooms smell heavenly, especially the red grapefruit. I got them before I even thought of keeping bees for the fruit and blossoms, being a nectar source is a bonus. The dwarf Meyer Lemon was sold at one of the big box stores here this summer in small pots for a reasonable price. That one is more cold hearty. I had one but it was an old, poor or off, version of the hybrid and I got rid of it in favor of a real lemon tree.