Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Proud of myself

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Vance G 
#1 ·
Got the call to remove 'Bees' from an unused chicken coop that was going into service. Sounded sketchy but the people are good friends. It was a nest of bombus ternarius in the floor. Best guess from book anyway and bumble distribution. I actually thought it looked more like one from California and Mexico, but that is not likely.

After moving the sheet of plywood they were under, I scooped the nest out mostly intact and put it in bale twine box, taped it mostly shut and gave them some time till dusk. I then closed them up and relocated them to a shaded and abandoned haystack. I was suited up, but never even threatened.

Now wasps or hornets would have gotten a flamethrower if practical but bumbles are good people and anyone getting a chance to help them out should know how easy and painfree it is.

#2 ·
> I was suited up, but never even threatened.

I just moved some yesterday as well. Same experience. Not even a head butt. I just scooped them up with a shovel and took them somewhere else where they weren't in the way. I was suited up, of course, but I could have gotten away without it, as it turns out.

#3 ·
I wouldn't mind tending bumble bees. I see very few in my area. Yet to see any this year. On my trip out to Cal I loved seeing all the bumble bees at Golden Gate Park. On one particular flowering shrub I saw hundreds of them, more bumbles than honey bees. If anyone ever called me about removing, I would bring them home.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.