Thread: Proud of myself

Default Proud of myself

Got the call to remove 'Bees' from an unused chicken coop that was going into service. Sounded sketchy but the people are good friends. It was a nest of bombus ternarius in the floor. Best guess from book anyway and bumble distribution. I actually thought it looked more like one from California and Mexico, but that is not likely.

After moving the sheet of plywood they were under, I scooped the nest out mostly intact and put it in bale twine box, taped it mostly shut and gave them some time till dusk. I then closed them up and relocated them to a shaded and abandoned haystack. I was suited up, but never even threatened.

Now wasps or hornets would have gotten a flamethrower if practical but bumbles are good people and anyone getting a chance to help them out should know how easy and painfree it is.

Default Re: Proud of myself

> I was suited up, but never even threatened.

I just moved some yesterday as well. Same experience. Not even a head butt. I just scooped them up with a shovel and took them somewhere else where they weren't in the way. I was suited up, of course, but I could have gotten away without it, as it turns out.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I wouldn't mind tending bumble bees. I see very few in my area. Yet to see any this year. On my trip out to Cal I loved seeing all the bumble bees at Golden Gate Park. On one particular flowering shrub I saw hundreds of them, more bumbles than honey bees. If anyone ever called me about removing, I would bring them home.
    Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. Prvb 16:24
    March 2010; +/- 30 hives, TF

My first bees were bumbles until my mother made me move the little box I had them in away from the house; and then in the manner of 8 year olds I forgot them. They are really mild little creatures.