Hybrid View

Default can i take a bunch of stray wild bees add a queen and have a hive

I had some comb and honey that got spread out and I had tens of thousands of bees could not believe how many. can I vacuum them up in a bee vac and add a queen to start a hive any info is very much appreciated

Default Re: can i take a bunch of stray wild bees add a queen and have a hive

they aren't strays, they are cleaning up the honey and taking it home. They are all field bees and will almost always go home unless you move them far enough away they don't reconise the way home.

I'm not 100% sure but in theory yes, but you would have to do something's with it. At least I would think. 1st you would probably need to lock them up in there new hive. How long I'm not sure, I would at least do maybe 3 to 7 days(With syrup added of course). Which is roughly how long it would take them to release the queen if they accept her. 2nd add a queen. Now the 3rd part I don't know for sure if you would need to do if they accept the queen, but make sure the hive is at least 2 to 5 miles away from there old hive. The reason why is because the ones you caught were forage bees and they have oriented themselves with the old hive and will return to that location. But like I said, I'm not sure of this because(assuming the have accept the new queen) they have a new home per say.

The reason why in theory it would work because basically you would be doing nothing different that how they make packaged bees, and they work. You just need to make sure you suck in at least 2 pounds of bees this late in the year or else you more than like will bee feeding all winter long to keep them from starving. Depending on your area of course
    Last edited by brownbuff75; 07-23-2013 at 10:39 PM. Reason: forgot to add something

I wouldn't recommend it. For one, you will have no nurse bees and most of these bees will die very quickly and most likely abscond w/o brood to hold them.

While maybe not impossible, I think it would be difficult biologically. Even though foragers can revert back to being nurse bees when forced to do so, they're not really very good at it. You'd have 0 nurse bees to take care of the new larvae, you'd have nothing but old foragers trying to be nurse bees again. It's the same reason why you wouldn't make a new hive by waiting until the middle of the day, move a hive 10 feet away and put an empty hive w/a caged queen in it's place to "collect" the foragers. It just wouldn't work out very well.
    License not replace eyes, ears, and brain.
    - Mr. Miyagi

"The reason why in theory it would work because basically you would be doing nothing different that how they make packaged bees"

Please tell me who you get your packages from and I will be sure to never purchase one from them. This is NOTHING like how packages are made.

Package bees are shook in the spring when hives are packed with young bees. The old forage bees die off quick. Besides why would you steal someones bees? You think you would like someone trapping your bees?

Quote Originally Posted by toadfish View Post
    I had some comb and honey that got spread out and I had tens of thousands of bees could not believe how many. can I vacuum them up in a bee vac and add a queen to start a hive any info is very much appreciated
    If they are stray bees yes you can. We do it all the time with bees that come in on honey to extract. If they are robbers they will not stay. I have made hives when moving bees out in the middle of the day by putting a brood chamber in the middle of the yard to catch all the field bees coming back and then add a queen a couple days later after they settle down. They will be slow to get going since there will be some die off before any brood starts to hatch unless you have a lot of bees to start with. As for using a vac you shouldn't need to I just set a brood box beside the pile of bees and they will usually run right in.

There are easier ways to get bees.
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

"Besides why would you steal someones bees? You think you would like someone trapping your bees?"

He wasn't talking about the morality of doing this.... He was asking if it were possible, or if you could, and I answered his question with what I thought. Now if he decides to ask about the morality of doing this, then I will be giving a completely different answer.

thanks for all the positive info I am trying to learn as much as I can about bees it seams from what I have learned hear and other places that a new queen in a queen cage on emerging brood would be a start with the others and Brown buf 75 you said it well this was the question and this was my thoughts on the question PS I do not plan to start bee stealing anytime soon thanks again more questions to come

Good to hear