Thread: Good idea ?

Question Good idea ?

I have most my hives down to 2 deeps do ya think it's to soon are main flow is well past and the bees are getting what ever they can.
    We have a golden rod flow coming and then that's that for the year hope i'm doing the right thing all hive have had a brood break and are just starting to lay again what are you thoughts? Thank you.
    Say hello to the bad guy!
    year five==== 31 hives==== T{OAV}

Default Re: Good idea ?

Glock...I hope somebody from your region replies, but for us, the goldenrod flow is huge. It's not the greatest honey for sure, but maybe they could make another super of honey that you can leave with them for the winter? Just my thoughts, but again, could be more of a regional thing. I would take a crack at them filling a super on the goldenrod flow. If they don't, they don't, and you remove it. If they do, bonus stores for the winter! JMO

Default Re: Good idea ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bees In Miami View Post
    Glock...I hope somebody from your region replies, but for us, the goldenrod flow is huge. It's not the greatest honey for sure, but maybe they could make another super of honey that you can leave with them for the winter? Just my thoughts, but again, could be more of a regional thing. I would take a crack at them filling a super on the goldenrod flow. If they don't, they don't, and you remove it. If they do, bonus stores for the winter! JMO
    Kinda close to your location. Im with Miami. Goldenrod will fill boxes if your hives and strong and weather is right. I would throw a super on and see what happens. Can't hurt right?

ps Goldenrod is kentucky state flower!!!! Goldenrod can be decent in Kentucky, not nearly as nice as main spring flow. However, I feel really good about this year our summer has been really wet and cool to allow plants to grow big and tall. A guy said its blooming already in Bloomington, In, no pun. Blooms should be popping heresoon!, usually doesn't happen until end of August here, perhaps early!