Default Good picture of the queen from a swarm we caught in June, any ideas?

This queen looks completely different from the queens from Dadant's nucs. Any idea as to breed? She lays well and the hive is going strong so I think she is a keeper, just curious as to what she is.

Default Re: Good picture of the queen from a swarm we caught in June, any ideas?

Beautiful, thats what she is. Great Photo. G

Default Re: Good picture of the queen from a swarm we caught in June, any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by biggraham610 View Post
    Beautiful, thats what she is. Great Photo. G
    I second. Unless queens come from isolated mating yards or from instrumentally inseminated breeders they are mutts. I have lots of mutts! We had Carniolan virgins inseminated with Italian drones 6 weeks ago. I already have daughters out of them we are calling them "Cartalians" LOL If the daughters and the breeders overwinter well and pass my standards I will be selling some Cartalians next year.

I agree mutts they will serve you well

I didn't know that swarms flew that far, but I'll be darned if that's not the queen I lost in a swarm recently. could you send her back?

Quote Originally Posted by rweakley View Post
    I didn't know that swarms flew that far, but I'll be darned if that's not the queen I lost in a swarm recently. could you send her back?
    I would, but after flying all that way, she probably isn't worth fooling with

wow ... what a beauty

she looks like good stock to breed from.

Quote Originally Posted by pen View Post
    Any idea as to breed? She lays well and the hive is going strong so I think she is a keeper, just curious as to what she is.
    I'd bet dollars to doughnuts she's a brood laying Italian! Nothing beets a brood laying Italian...that's were the money is.