Default Maybe LUCK will prevail.

My second cut out went into the first hive I built. I kept it at my Mom's property out of the city since I live where backyard beekeeping isn't allowed. The colony didn't survive for more reasons than i need to go into, so I cleaned it out and took it home since I decided to put hardware cloth in the bottom. My original design was done to "chimney" the air for good circulation since we have 100+degree heat where I live. I just set it in the front yard until I could get to the modification.
    Today we found new activity at the entrances toward the front. The front has a landing pad with an entrance limited in height and at floor level. The side entrance is also at floor level. It looks like a swarm may be moving in, but I don't even want to peek inside for awhile. I've had a hell of a time getting a start this year. You see, I've built three hives and got my gear for less than $100 and I decided to try and save bees that would otherwise be destroyed because they were in the wrong place. Two were from water meters.

My question is: If the bees establish themselves in this hive, how can I move it back to my Mom's property after a couple of weeks without risking loss? Will the solid bottom mean doom because of possibility of mites?

I just feel so lucky, but the hive has to beloved if this swarm makes this hive-in-the-city it's HOME.

Default Re: Maybe LUCK will prevail.

I don't think solid bottoms are any worse for pests (I think they are better but this is just my second year - only basing it on a little experience). The bees evidently think it will work! That is great about the swarm! Congrats!

You may want to wait to move them until it cools off in the fall, that way you won't be as likely to have new soft combs collapse.

Default Re: Maybe LUCK will prevail.

Quote Originally Posted by Colleen O. View Post
    I don't think solid bottoms are any worse for pests (I think they are better but this is just my second year - only basing it on a little experience). The bees evidently think it will work! That is great about the swarm! Congrats!

You may want to wait to move them until it cools off in the fall, that way you won't be as likely to have new soft combs collapse.
    Dido on cooler temps for moving.

Screen bottoms allow mites to drop out of hive. And if you add a catch pan, you will catch and kill hive beetle larva that must leave hive to pupate in ground.

What I do when moving hives.

Seal up entrances at night once all foragers have returned to hive (screened bottom is a must for proper ventilation). If not use 1/8" hardware cloth in entrace and top cover.
    I wrap a tiedown strap around hive to secure boxes together.
    Move hive onto truck.
    Must be careful at night!! They will be pissed.

Then in morning transport hive to new location. Generally the confinement and bumps rattles from transport will cause them to reorient to the new location. I don't have losses.