Hybrid View

Default Where are the butterflies?

We planted 12 acres in CRP borderstrips 3 years ago. 5 of the acres had the pollinator blend enhancement added to the native grasses and forbs. The last 2 years I have seen a huge jump in some pollinator populations ie butterflies, bumblebees, other bees (that I am learning about). Some of the planting my honeybees also love. This year the butterflies almost seem absent! I spoke with another fellow who has an acre of restored prairie who is saying the same thing. Any ideas?

Default Re: Where are the butterflies?

My wife and I notice the same thing. Specifically looking for Monarchs, we have plenty of milkweed, but no Monarch butterflies.
    Wish I could offer an explanation, but I have none. It's as if the numbers of all butterflies is down significantly.

They must've moved south. There's tons around these parts!

Plenty around here.

I just started seeing the yellow swallowtails last week, and they are all over the coneflower. I have not seen a monarch or viceroy for a few years. Painted ladies seem to be in short supply.
    Pete. New 2013, 7 hives, zone 6a
    To study and not think is a waste. To think and not study is dangerous.

This has been a fantastic year for butterflies here. We have hundreds of eastern tiger swallowtails, lots of black swallowtails, buckeyes, pearl crescents, american ladies, silver spotted skippers,sleepy oranges, cloudless sulphurs, carolina satyrs, the monarchs have arrived and are laying eggs on my milkweeds. My gardens are filled with butterflies.