Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Let's talk about roofs

Here's one I made.
    IMG958586.jpg IMG950201.jpg

How much does that sucker weigh! Do you get a lot of snow?

Wow, some of you'all have some serious building skills.
    I use roofing panels on Wyatt Mangum designed tbh's

IMG_1443_zps699bb8bf.jpg

Haha yeah it's substantial. it weighs maybe 20 Lbs. We tend to get a good amount of snow, not like some of you but wanted to make something of a swiss chalet style roof. It was a fun project and I think helped insulate the lid by creating a dead air space.

Looks like it maybe too insulated right now based on the bearding on the front of the hive. Or you need to super that thing really bad.

That was a picture last year and yeah, I was away for two weeks and came back to that.

Of my 3 TBH's, 2 have an aluminum gabled roof and 1 has a coraplex one. I much prefer the aluminum ones, but they came in my kit from beeline apiaries so I don't know how easily they could be replicated. As it turns out, I didn't assemble the first aluminum one like they had intended. It was supposed to have 2 1x10's in the roof structure, but the directions were not real clear and it worked out even better to just install the end pieces. Had I put the wood on the top, it would have made it very heavy. (I used the 2 pieces to make another hive, so nothing wasted there).

They do have a little bit of twist in them, but they fit the hive snuggly (as you can see from the scrapped paint) so they don't blow off in high winds and I don't have any unsightly bricks on top of them (these are in my front yard). On one of them, I did add the middle support and had to nail thru the top, as you see in the pictures. But on the second one, I left that out (and that one has more of a twist to it when I take it off).

As I continue to add hives (and encourage friends and neighbors to add a beehive to their yard), I will continue to recommend this kit from Beeline.

IMG_2257.jpg

IMG_2260.jpg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12