Question Green discoloration on top bars

My husband left the cover off our top bar hive after inspecting the combs and it rained that night. We let the surface dry out and replaced the cover. I don't think the inside of the hive itself got wet ( I can't be sure), but now the surface edges of some of the bars look green, like they have mildew or something from the moisture. Also, we have been noticing a LOT of bearding after those heavy rains. So 3 questions: If rain water had gotten into the hive is that a problem? Is there a a safe way to get rid of the mildew or whatever it is on those bars? Is the bearding a sign of something wrong in the hive (like too much humidity?). Thanks!

Default Re: Green discoloration on top bars

low concentration hydrogen peroxide (food grade) on the top bars should be ok. Unless they are drowning I would leave the bees to sort out the inside. Just don't open it up for a long time. Others with probably disagree.

Ventilation isn't quite right .Give them a little more ventilation.

My guess too. After a rain the bees have been stuffed in there making it too hot.

Welcome to Beesource!

You haven't specified what kind of holes/entrance(s) your TBH has, but I agree that you may need more air exchange.

My TBHs have a full width top entrance that seems to work well. My entrances are modeled after the TBH photos here:
    http://www.bushfarms.com/beestopbarhives.htm
    Graham
    --- Victor Hugo - "Common sense is in spite of, not the result of, education.

I also prop the tops of the outer cover in the heat. This allows for a lot more heat exchanged than if you have a closed outer cover on top of the top bars.

Quote Originally Posted by shannonswyatt View Post
    I also prop the tops of the outer cover in the heat. This allows for a lot more heat exchanged than if you have a closed outer cover on top of the top bars.
    The bars seem fairly well glued together with propolis. I am wondering how propping the outer lid up would allow for more heat to escape? Does just the flow of air over the top of the bars themselves work like ventilation?

If the outer cover it tight to the top bars there is no air movement (or little). Still air is great insulation, that's why we have a gap in multi pane windows, it doesn't allow for much heat transfer, so it traps some of the heat inside. By having a gap you allow for some airflow over the top of the bars. And the bars are going to transfer heat from the hot side to the cold side. In the winter the opposite is better, so having more still air above the hive should keep them warmer. This is why you see folks using foam insulation on top of their hives in the winter.