Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Newspaper for combining hives

The biggest issue I have is this: I place the newspaper on the hive. I make a little slit in it. I lift the deep I am going to add. Just as I am about to lower the heavy box on top the wind blows the newspaper away. So. I place the newspaper on the hive. I make a little slit...... There has to be a better way. What are y'all doing? Duct tape?

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Quiney WI View Post
    The biggest issue I have is this: I place the newspaper on the hive. I make a little slit in it. I lift the deep I am going to add. Just as I am about to lower the heavy box on top the wind blows the newspaper away. So. I place the newspaper on the hive. I make a little slit...... There has to be a better way. What are y'all doing? Duct tape?
    Pins, tape. Nothing like a task of this sort to reveal the breeze, eh?

If you are considering combining two colonies, but are not sure if one has a queen, use the double screen method. Install the screen and wait for a couple of weeks. Then reevaluate.

If the weak hive is actually queenless, those bees will devote their time to making honey, because, there is no brood to tend. The double screen will keep the weak hive from developing a laying worker. You can combine when you are sure there is no queen, no hurry, by just removing the screen.

cchoganjr