Default Will queen cells inhibit laying workers?

It is my understanding that laying workers start laying after a couple of weeks with no queen phermones present. But will queen cells be an adequate substitute for a fully developed queen to suppress laying worker activity?

The girls swarmed and there are 2 nice queen cells. In general, will this hold off laying workers? How about an unfertilized queen?

Default Re: Will queen cells inhibit laying workers?

I think it is the pheromones from unsealed worker brood that keeps laying workers from developing.

Default Re: Will queen cells inhibit laying workers?

>It is my understanding that laying workers start laying after a couple of weeks with no queen phermones present.

Not true.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beeslayingw...htm#pheromones

"the queen's pheromones are neither necessary nor sufficient for inhibiting worker's ovaries. Instead, they strongly inhibit the workers from rearing additional queens. It is now clear that the pheromones that provide the proximate stimulus for workers to refrain from laying eggs come mainly from the brood, not from the queen (reviewed in Seeling 1985; see also Willis, Winston, and Slessor 1990)." --Tom Seeley, Wisdom of the Hive, pg 11

> But will queen cells be an adequate substitute for a fully developed queen to suppress laying worker activity?

No. Only open worker brood will suppress laying workers.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF