Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: please excuse this little rant

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    Not the 2013 Farm Bill. Unless I missed something. Congress was so proud to have gotten something passed and it was said that the SNAP Program (aka Food Stamps) would be in another Bill.
    They were trying, but so far no joy either way. whats interesting is were talking about past and future in the same tense. The numbers everyone wants to throw out are past farm bills, which for the last 20+ years has included food stamps. your referring to future now, not passed yet that I know of, and no numbers to discuss.
    Its also interesting that a lot of opponents of that quote susidys paid out for corn and beans... But for the last 5 years or so that number has been effectivly zero, as the market is way above subsidy price on those..... still out there for milk and cotton.... and yes there are some scammers in the system... probably not as many as food stamp scammers, but some any way....

Comparing SNAP recipients and Farm Subsidy recipients, I wonder which dollar amount is the greatest.
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

I will agree with you on the subject of new farm equipment. I will guarantee you that most of that new equipment is financed. Take away the financing and you will see them use older equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by cerezha View Post
    This is what bothers me - billion dollars in subsidies and NONE for beekeeping!
    There is tons of money for keepers.
    NUTRA-BEE feed supplements

You saw that as an attack? No. I am serious. If you wish to ease the impact of your life upon the environment how else would you suggest easing that impact? Did you not see my first reply? "You are excused."? You ask and I responded.

I mean you no ill will. I think you should figure out how to remedy the situation. How would you suggest we live differently?
    okay, as you directed that comment towards me twice, and I let the first one slide. Come on man, how else would that comment be taken.

So , with that mis understanding aside, ...

I completely agree with you.

I am preaching an example of balance. We need balance to this equation, all I am seeing around here now is a total lack of it. AND a total lack of consideration to our neighbours
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

How many acres in total are under your control?
    Id say 5000 acres or so total, including all we manage
    www.stepplerfarms.com

I'm kind of surprised you didn't suggest that the whole Thread be moved to Tailgater. The subject of the Thread certainly isn't what Commercial Beekeeping/Pollination is all about.
    It is to my operation. What happens to the landscape directly influences what happens in my beekeeping operation.
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    okay, as you directed that comment towards me twice, and I let the first one slide. Come on man, how else would that comment be taken.
    I apologize. I didn't mean it in a mean way. I often don't understand how my words appear to others reading them. I meant no disrespect.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Id say 5000 acres or so total, including all we manage
    Not to get too personal, but how many of you are living off of that 5,000 acres? Just curious. Trying to understand what modern farming is like. My Grandpa Porter farmed 200 some acres in Iowa and raised 5 kids on it w/ my Uncle Gordon staying on w/ his family until 10 years after his parents died.

Not to get too personal, but how many of you are living off of that 5,000 acres? Just curious. Trying to understand what modern farming is like. My Grandpa Porter farmed 200 some acres in Iowa and raised 5 kids on it w/ my Uncle Gordon staying on w/ his family until 10 years after his parents died.
    Our family farm, all run together, parents, three brothers and my family. We raise 400 head of cattle , 900 hives and grain farm 3000 acres. Its enough to support us so far.
    www.stepplerfarms.com

I meant no disrespect.
    thats all that matters in these forums, my fingers do not always type what my head is thinking either
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Yeah, now that I read it, maybe I should have written "We can do it voluntarily. It would be a great service to the rest of humanity."

Last year I had a neighbour decide he was going to farm the treed raven road allowance to which I kept my bees beside. He pushed the bush feet away from my bee yard, pile the brush 50 feet away from the yards and lite it on fire, all within a day, and without consulting any neighbours adjacent to him. I had to scramble to get my hives out of there as the flames and smoke was drifting nearly in my direction!
    All to try to farm raven, and guess what, he cant farm it! BECAUSE ITS RAVEN!
    www.stepplerfarms.com

What's Raven?

maybe Im mis spelling it, class two or three water shed. Usually steep side banks cut into the earth at the time of the Glaciers and now treed over

we are getting farmers here who think they can flatten these ravens to farm. You think they would stop at their first failure!

and then we have ther farmers who think they can farm muskeg, pouring thousands of dollars per acre to clear, trench and tile. Some of it is working, some of it isnt.

All this kind of work is directly related to the value of the land, and that value is directly related to the amount of dollars farmers can pencil out on it. SO ya, in a round about way farmers who make too much money start spending too much money trying to make more of it
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Perhaps a ravine.

ravine [rəˈviːn]
    A deep narrow valley or gorge in the earth's surface worn by running water.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/ravine
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

thats it, ravine , not raven, sorry
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Farmers in the states have been overpaid for the past several years. Ever since the government started subsidizing ethanol. That's why everything is going into corn which in turn hurts the beekeepers. Our food prices have also soared since this started. I don't blame the farmers. I'm sure most beekeepers wouldn't complain if the government subsidized the turning of honey into fuel and it went from $2.00/LB to $6.00/LB either. Beekeepers would get rich but it wouldn't be good for anyone else.
    -Rob Bliss
    Bliss Honey and bee supplies

Quote Originally Posted by pahvantpiper View Post
    Farmers in the states have been overpaid for the past several years. Ever since the government started subsidizing ethanol. That's why everything is going into corn which in turn hurts the beekeepers. Our food prices have also soared since this started. I don't blame the farmers. I'm sure most beekeepers wouldn't complain if the government subsidized the turning of honey into fuel and it went from $2.00/LB to $6.00/LB either. Beekeepers would get rich but it wouldn't be good for anyone else.

thank you for agreeing the farmers are over paid.

i dont blame individual familys that farm. i just think the whole idea of such mass farming has gotten outa control.

would it be so bad tho if beekeepers were over paid. i mean what would our bees destroy if there were to many bees other then staving themselves to death. thats the big difference. bees are good for mother earth. mass farming is not.

most beekeepers that i know, well if they had the land and the money that the farmers around here had, they would let it all grow wild with flowers and creatures. and that would be so wonderful.

i find myself often driving around the countryside wondering what this great land looked like when the first settlers showed up. what a beautiful place this must have been. now look at it. how do others not think the way i do. do you people not see this is not going to work out. none of it is sustainable.

i do agree there is good money to be made in beekeeping, like keith said.

but there is no balance. its getting so hard to keep bees. who will do it in the future. most of my friends would never work this hard. my generation is the make a fast buck and dont lift a finger type. and bees dont stay alive with that business model.

I share those veiws Ian. Two years ago I lost all my hives but three, devestating. I can't say what the main reasons for it was but if I was to compile a list, agro sprays would be on it.

For the last 10 years out of the 26 years I've been keeping bees, I've been doing pollination. During these years I've always seemed to have higher losses with 20% my lowest and 65 my highest. In the fall of 11', I knew I was in trouble and in the spring I had 3 hives left of the 100 hives, 97% loss. I have learned my lesson, I am going back to my roots of honey proctuction. I've brought my 3 hives up to 72 hives in this past year and a half and I'm extracting a wonderful ammount of honey now. Last winter only saw a 5% loss wich is what was normal for us through the 90's.

I wouldn't say that I wouldn't pollinate anymore, but my fee is the cost of replacing a hive, lock,stock,and barrel. exubrant enough that they don't even want to look at me, which is the way I like it. honey prices are going up anyway.

The current agricultural system is heading for a melt down. It will buckle. the land will only take so much abuse before it says 'Screw you, human race' which is why, in part, we are looking to homestead and very soon.
    Will Gruenwald Chilliwack BC

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast