Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: please excuse this little rant

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    wow,
    an attack out of no where,
    not called for Mark, bad form
    if you do not like what I had said, then attack what I said, not me personally
    You saw that as an attack? No. I am serious. If you wish to ease the impact of your life upon the environment how else would you suggest easing that impact? Did you not see my first reply? "You are excused."? You ask and I responded.

I mean you no ill will. I think you should figure out how to remedy the situation. How would you suggest we live differently?
    Mark Berninghausen
    Squeak Creek Apiaries

How many acres in total are under your control?
    Last edited by Barry; 07-23-2013 at 10:05 PM. Reason: quoting
    Mark Berninghausen
    Squeak Creek Apiaries

Do you have any first hand experience that makes you eligible to comment on these two subjects?[/QUOTE]

actually i do. my girl friends dad is a excavator. he works for a lot of farmers in my area. they are his childhood friends. he was a farmer. he quit right before it turned around. still has the land, rents it. his buddies are all rich farmers now. they hire him to do dumb ass jobs like ian says, level it, fill it in and make it drain. they get govnt money to harm this great state of MN. they are changing it by making spiecies go extinct. and polluting the ground water slowly and many other things. actually i do think we need population control and i am practicing it. im sure i will have one child but not 3 4 or more. why would i want to bring more people into a over crowded earth. the worst part is our goverment is set up so that the stupid people are breeding the most. they get money the more stupid kids they have the more money they get. maybe i am negative or just a mean person but its the way it all seems to me. i do not know how to see it any other way. i may not be that smart, but im not that ignorant.

So bottom line you don't have any first hand experience. Tell us about how the farmers are paid too much.

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    ... how to remedy the situation. How would you suggest we live differently?
    In order to find a remedy, people first need to realize that there is an issue. If people in denial, even magic-remedy would not help. Excuse my ESL, could you explain what you mean: "Your mear existence harms the environment." How?
    Серёжа, Sergey

Quote Originally Posted by Haraga View Post
    ... Tell us about how the farmers are paid too much.
    I do not know how much is too much, but agriculture in US is heavily subsidized:
    "This week, House Republicans passed a rather unusual farm bill. There was no money for food stamps for the poor, a program that typically makes up the bulk of these bills. But the House did manage to pass billions in subsidies for farmers and agribusinesses."
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...arm-subsidies/

I do not know how much from this comes in the farmer's pocket. Any idea?
    Серёжа, Sergey

Quote Originally Posted by Haraga View Post
    ... how the farmers are paid too much.
    For USA, there is website "Farm Subsidy Database" with the map showing how much subsidies invested into state, county etc. You may enter zip-code to see what is going on in your local area:

http://farm.ewg.org/
    Серёжа, Sergey

I checked out the subsidies website. Interesting. I see some of the folks in my area cashed in on "crop insurance" due to natural disasters. Not sure how that falls into federal subsidizing considering they actually have to pay for the crop insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by cerezha View Post
    Excuse my ESL, could you explain what you mean: "Your mear existence harms the environment." How?
    Spell check doesn't like how I spell "mear", so maybe it should be "mere".

Just by living we impact the environment. Most of which can be seen as in a negative way. Walk across a field a field and you harm the grass. Drive a car and you add to the air pollution. Buy the beef that comes from Ian cattle and you will have to pay for a lot of shipping from way up North. Transportation costs mean, roads, pavement, trucks, fuel, etc, which are all unnatural. That's what I mean.

This probably trivializes Ian's point in his "rant". I admire him and his family for being so conscientious in how they handle their 5,000 acres. I have 103 acres of land of which a minor amount is cultivated. 15 acres is cut for hay. What was at one time pastured my Wife is slowly planting in pine trees at a rate of 100 each year, something she started w/ the kids years ago. So I don't do what Ian does exactly (we only have one sheep left), but we produced one child and adopted two. That's my contribution to zero pop. growth, sorta.
    Mark Berninghausen
    Squeak Creek Apiaries

Quote Originally Posted by BMAC View Post
    I checked out the subsidies website. Interesting. I see some of the folks in my area cashed in on "crop insurance" due to natural disasters. Not sure how that falls into federal subsidizing considering they actually have to pay for the crop insurance.
    Some of them are beekeepers too. I don't consider those subsidies, just low cost Insurance. I wish I could get health insurance that inexpensively. Is Health Insurance deductible? I bet the crop insurance payments are. Is the "income" from a claim taxable?
    Mark Berninghausen
    Squeak Creek Apiaries

Quote Originally Posted by BMAC View Post
    I wish somebody could explain to me how it works, but what bothers me is that the same names have hundreds of thousand dollars from year to year.
    Last edited by cerezha; 07-24-2013 at 06:24 AM.
    Серёжа, Sergey

Insurance is insurance correct, so your property is damaged covered by insurance then you put in a claim and get paid by insurance company? Besides farmers that actually borrow money from the FSA division of FDA for their farm growth are required by FDA to retain crop insurance.

Alot of the folks in our area that put in claims for insurance have been due to crops freezing out in spring or the re-occurence of flash floods we have had in the last 3 years.

I wish somebody could explain to me how it works,but what bothers me is that the same names have hundreds of thousand dollars from year to year.
    You found the link. You aught to be able to find the Program. I forget too much about it to explain it. I am not a participant.
    Mark Berninghausen
    Squeak Creek Apiaries

Spell check doesn't like how I spell "mear", so maybe it should be "mere"...
    Oh, Mark:
    mear
    Web definitions
    [vi] [rude] to urinate, to pee, to piss (on). It appears in the phrase meado por los perros ‘pissed on by dogs’, meaning ‘screwed...

My ESL interpretation was that you accuse Ian that he damage environment by peeing in nature hilarious!

As for impact to the environment - your position make sense from one point. From another point, we are part of environment and should concentrate on positive effects from our activity. I told this story many times, how 2 million toilets saved Mono Lake. Los Angeles purchased all water rights around Mono Lake, so we have a water. All small creeks were diverted to aquaduck and it drains the Mono Lake. The group of enthusiasts decided to save Mono Lake by installing low-water toilets in LA. So they did - they installed 2 million low water toilets and it saved the lake - lake's level has been increased by 10 feet and continuing. This is very positive story to me - what simple people can do! We have a program for LA kids (who grew on concrete) to learn this story of Mono Lake - for 5 days they live in very rough conditions in the Nature cleaning the creeks and kayaking the Mono Lake. City kids learned how to live in Nature (it is OK to pee in the forest!). These kids, I am sure, would fight for changes beneficial to Nature.
    Серёжа, Sergey

... I am not a participant.
    This is what bothers me - billion dollars in subsidies and NONE for beekeeping!
    Серёжа, Sergey

I do not know how much is too much, but agriculture in US is heavily subsidized:
    "This week, House Republicans passed a rather unusual farm bill. There was no money for food stamps for the poor, a program that typically makes up the bulk of these bills. But the House did manage to pass billions in subsidies for farmers and agribusinesses."
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...arm-subsidies/

I do not know how much from this comes in the farmer's pocket. Any idea?
    You might do a bit of research..... you will find out that over 70% of the farm bill is for FOOD STAMPS... a point city slickers like to ignore....

This is what bothers me - billion dollars in subsidies and NONE for beekeeping!
    Beekeepers can participate in the crop insurance program. There was a time when beekeepers could take an LDP (I think that's what it is.) Loan. The beekeeper would take a loan from the FSA for 54 cents per pound and could pay it back at 48 cents w/in a certain time period. Or they could turn in the honey.

Not that long ago there was an article in the Wall Street Journal (or was it the NY Times?) about the millions of Federal dollars paid to one beekeeper. So, it does happen Sergey.
    Mark Berninghausen
    Squeak Creek Apiaries

Quote Originally Posted by gmcharlie View Post
    You might do a bit of research..... you will find out that over 70% of the farm bill is for FOOD STAMPS... a point city slickers like to ignore....
    Not the 2013 Farm Bill. Unless I missed something. Congress was so proud to have gotten something passed and it was said that the SNAP Program (aka Food Stamps) would be in another Bill.
    Mark Berninghausen
    Squeak Creek Apiaries

we produced one child and adopted two. That's my contribution to zero pop. growth, sorta.
    Population growth and the governments role in that needs to head over to TG.
    Regards, Barry

I'm kind of surprised you didn't suggest that the whole Thread be moved to Tailgater. The subject of the Thread certainly isn't what Commercial Beekeeping/Pollination is all about.

I didn't mention the Governments role in population control. Someone else did that by bringing up China.
    Mark Berninghausen
    Squeak Creek Apiaries

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast