Question Feeding Worm Tea to Bees

I was at the Farm Market today selling some of my honey and I saw a guy there with a milk jug filled with a dark liquid. I asked him what it was and he said it was Worm Tea. I asked him what it was used for and he told me that another beekeeper get 25 gallons from him every year. I asked what he used it for and he said the guy mixed it with sugar water and fed it to his bee. He said the beekeeper said it helped with mites and other things bad for bees.

Worm Tea is a liquid that runs off of compost basically a bi-product. The Worm Tea is made at the local University greenhouse and is 100% organic.

I was wondering if anyone else knows anything about this or if anyone else feeds their bees Worm Tea.

Default Re: Feeding Worm Tea to Bees

I think your leg was being pulled... or I hope so... I'm afraid I'd need much more info before I'd mix Worm tea with sugar water to give to my bees.
    Master Beekeeper (EAS) and Master Gardener (U Maine CE) www.beeberrywoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Dewey View Post
    I think your leg was being pulled... or I hope so... I'm afraid I'd need much more info before I'd mix Worm tea with sugar water to give to my bees.
    I kinda was thinking the same thing but, I still learn something new all the time. I posted to see if anyone else has information on this Worm Tea.

Quote Originally Posted by tdsewell View Post
    I kinda was thinking the same thing but, I still learn something new all the time. I posted to see if anyone else has information on this Worm Tea.
    Never heard of it being used to mix with sugar syrup, but I use Red Oak bark extract that I make up myself to mix with the sugar syrup to lower the PH, so it will be more like honey. Worm Tea would most likely do the same thing. Just guessing.

I don't know about worm tea in sugar water, but bees do like to drink water out of compost piles.

I cupped the top of a 2 ton pile of hog manure to catch rainwater which helps to decompose the pile. Whenever it rains the top of the pile is bee central.
    Zone 5a @ 4700 ft. High Desert
    Facebook

If you feed much syrup in the spring a little will end up in the honey supers if you are not careful. I would hate to tell a customer I mix water from compost with my sugar syrup.

It would probably be a good source of probiotics and minerals and I would consider using a dilute solution in August after the honey supers have been taken off and while the bees are building up for winter. Kind of like a natural tonic. But I'm open to trying that kind of stuff and don't depend on it for my livelihood. Problem is, the worm tea most likely loses its probiotic benefits pretty quickly, so if you stored it for more than a few days, you would lose a lot of the value

Worm tea is made by soaking worm castings in water.
    It's full of enzymes that give plants a good kick start.
    Never heard of giving it to bees.