Thread: Which Veil

Default Which Veil

Hello my wife and I are just starting out, wont have a hive for a while, but want to get a veil for when we go visit other bee keeper hives to learn. There seems to be a few choices from various manufacturers, what does everyone recommend?

Default Re: Which Veil

Quote Originally Posted by JeffM17 View Post
    Hello my wife and I are just starting out, wont have a hive for a while, but want to get a veil for when we go visit other bee keeper hives to learn. There seems to be a few choices from various manufacturers, what does everyone recommend?
    I can't recommend a brand. However as far as style goes I ended up buying a jacket with integrated veil. If I had the option to do it over again I'd have purchased just the veil. The veils with jacket/suit are just too cumbersome for my tastes. A sting on the arm is rare and not all that bad and really if I wanted to avoid them I could wear something long sleeved. Hope that helps.

The first veil I wore was a sheriff style integrated onto a jacket. It flopped against my cheeks whenever I turned my head. It was my nephews jacket/veil and he did get stung on the side of his chin and cheeks through that veil. I then bought the 990BZ hat veil combo from Brushy Mountain. They are a bit pricey, but I really feel secure in it. My area has Africanized bees and good equipment is a must. This hat veil combo has a stiff plastic mesh for the veil material. I have seen other brands of a round style veil that are made of a soft flexible mesh that seems a lot less desirable to me. The downside of the stiff mesh is that it does not collapse if you are trying to unzip the front and throw it back over your head to drive to or from the bee yard. I also have the tie down version. Both are great. I recently bought ventilated bee suits from both Pidgeon Mountain and Mann Lake both had zip on sheriff style veils. The Pidgeon Mountain had the thinner flexible mesh material, the Mann Lake the thicker stiff mesh which I prefer. I sent back the Pidgeon Mountain. They were very gracious about the return. The veil on the MannLake suit being stiffer than the sheriff style i used previously does hold its shape and I feel secure using it. I had hoped my Brushy Mountain hat veil would have fit the Mann Lake suit, but the zippers are incompatible.

I like the square folding veil with the strings and the ventilated mesh helmet. It keeps the bees out of your vital face area and the helmet has a sweat-band, which is super nice. Get a veil with a sweatband - it makes a big difference on the really warm days. The square folding veils are nice at keeping their form and keeping the protective mesh material away from your neck and face.
    I also have a zippered square folding veil which zips into my bee suit. That is a nice combo, but it may be trickier to get on if you are solo.
    I have not purchased a jacket/veil combo yet, but I think I will soon. I want something I can throw on quickly for the quick jobs.
    This video makes me laugh: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yga63uj1ug4
    Good luck!
    "Life will find a way - it always finds a way." -Jurassic Park (MOVIE/BOOK)
    USDA Zone 5a

For lite weight work I am with Kirk. Nuc yards and so on.
    David

I have a Mann Lake jacket with the integrated hat/veil. I wish I had a fencing mask style veil, since the hat/veil is problematic when performing removals and lying on your back. Not a problem if you don't do lot's of removals.
    NM desert/mountain beekeeper - Black Mesa Honeybees.

you will have a heat stroke in a full suit!!!! I have a VENTED jacket with connected hood best purchase I made when it come to clothing (key word there was vented if you did not catch it) I think I paid 90 for mine off of pestmall.com 90 is a pretty good price and it is a quality jacket good luck

I like the tie-down square veil from Brushy Mountain. Unlike the metal mesh veils, it springs back to shape if bent. I also use a ventilated helmet, (not the plastic ones)

I made mine for about $2. Went to jo-ann's and got a 1/2 yard of mesh 45" wide material. Three seams, a string, and a strip of elastic gave me a veil that fits on any brimmed hat and folds up into a quart ziplock bag. No stings to head wearing it, just hands.