Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wire Crimper

Default Wire Crimper

I wire all my frames and use my own wax foundation. I placed an order with Dadant several weeks back and purchased their wire crimper.

https://www.dadant.com/catalog/produ...oducts_id=1105

I went to use it today. Before I embed new foundation, it's good to crimp the wires so they are nice and taut. I'm sorry, but this crimper is worthless. The wheels won't hardly turn. They just slide along the wire. It's a lousy design. Anyone know where to get a good one? Don't want any plastic in it.
    Regards, Barry

Default Re: Wire Crimper

Yea, that thing is trash however, I have seen pictures (not sure if it was on here or the "other" forum) that a beek took the rollers off and reworked a pair of needle nose pliers to install them on and said it worked great.

What it needs is for the heads to be mounted over bearings at the very least. The crimping pressure without bearings, especially when on plastic, keep the heads from turning. I think Dee Lusby had her crimpers custom made as well. They were all metal as I recall.
    Regards, Barry

those crimpers will work ok if you take them apart and grease the stud the wheels are on. Then they turn just fine.

OOPs. Just ordered one b/c I thought it would save me some time. Guess you shouldn't take short cuts.

Mike

yea listen to what micheal says we did the same thing when i used one years ago just take it apart and grease the wheels i think i also took that spring out of the middle for some reason. Nick

Please forgive my ignorance, but why would you want to make the wire less than straight? We wrap the wire around a nail in the endbar, and then take a small needlenose pliers and make a z in the wire on the outside of the endbar. It should "bing" the right pitch then. The straight, taught wires seem to embed better.

Roland

A crimped wire disperses the stress better than a straight wire.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    Please forgive my ignorance, but why would you want to make the wire less than straight?
    It's not about the way the wire looks, it's about the wire being tight. In time, most wires lose their twang and simply crimping them twangs them back up.
    Regards, Barry

Question on using wire crimpers, when the wire is crimped, should the crimps go up and down, or side to side?

Just wondering as I plan to wire frames this winter.

Pugs

Really, there is no need to wire at all unless you plan to extract deeps.

Barry - I agree,

it's about the wire being tight

By making the Z in the wire on the endbar, it is tight, and straight. It works well, embeds well. What an I missing?

I run only deeps.

Roland

I wire the same way, but over time, the wire stretches and loses its twang.
    Regards, Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Pugs View Post
    Question on using wire crimpers, when the wire is crimped, should the crimps go up and down, or side to side?
    When you use the crimpers, you'll see that there is only one option. The crimps stay in the plane of the foundation. You'll see.
    Regards, Barry

Quote Originally Posted by michael-bees View Post
    Really, there is no need to wire at all unless you plan to extract deeps.
    I have to disagree. I have deeps with just wired wax in them, the wires pop out and the comb starts flailing all over the place.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I wire the same way, but over time, the wire stretches and loses its twang.
    I second that.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Pugs View Post

Pugs
    It does not matter as the cell bases vary as much as the crimps.

I got one of the Dadant hand held crimpers this year. At first had troube with it but after I started holding correctly and a firm grip it works fine. Have not used it lately but seems I held frame with end bar up against my chest and crimped from bottom up. I liked it once I got onto it.

I always prided myself with the tensioning of the straight wire but there is stoutness about the crimp that I like. And it was inexpensive.

Bob Nelson

I bought the plastic handled ones and took them with a pair of cheap lineman's pliers to the local welding shop and got him to make me these:
    http://www.bushfarms.com/images/WireCrimpers.JPG
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I would try welding the pins on the sides of the pliers so a simple squeeze and pull-motion could be used.
    Last edited by Barry; 08-15-2010 at 08:16 AM.
    BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...

I worked it out pretty carefully. An angle was cut on the face of the pliers to get the angle right. Bolts were welded onto that angled face. The rod across gives you something to keep the wire in the wheels while running it. It works perfectly which is more than I can say for the original.

Michael, what angle is it? I'm going to have a pair made and I'd like to get it right the first time.

Thanks,
    Pugs