Default Mann Lake cardboard nuc boxes

Does anyone have any experience with these? Someone told me that regular frames don't fit in them. I want to use some next spring for making nucs (some members of my family want to get into bees), but only if regular deep frames fit with them. Otherwise, what's the point!

Default Re: Mann Lake cardboard nuc boxes

A cardboard nuc box is suitable for transporting bees short distances only. If you leave the bees in the box overnight with the entrance shut they will chew at the ventilation holes and make an entrance. Water will damage the boxes to the point they will loose their shape and come apart.

If you are serious about nucs, make or buy 5 or 8 frame boxes. If you are buying check for things like queen excluders, screened bottom boards and tops that will fit the equipment.

they work just fine. if you keep them off the ground and away from ants they can last 2 years.
    Take the extra time to put some staples in while putting them together it goes a long way.
    you would need the special stapler they sell for putting together queen shipping boxes.
    use hundreds every spring and they are cheap and simple

I used them this year. The frames fit fine. Keep off the ground.Go ahead and get riteway stapler. They sould last about one season.
    Don't think you are on the right road simply because it is a well worn pathway.

Do they glue the frames down against box ledge like they do on wood?
    How do full plastic frames fit (Pierco )? Snug? Extra room?
    How's the ventilation? Do you need to add more if you close them up and move them in the summer?

Sounds like they would work well for what I need. Thanks, everyone!

You also should consider making the dcoates 5 frame nuc boxes. One4X8 piece of plywood makes 4 very solid long lasting nuc boxes for about 25$. You don't have to have a ton of fancy tools to make them. I used to make them with a circular saw as my only tool. You can find the plans on the build it yourself section of this website on the home page.

I got two in the last order and they did not have any frame rests. They slide the frames around so that the sides interlocked and smashed a couple of frames together. I am wondering if I was supposed to have folded something down or added something to them. I grabbed the boxes and ran them up to a yard and used it without looking at it too close.
    “Why do we fall, sir? So that we might learn to pick ourselves up” Alfred Pennyworth Batman Begins (2005)

Quote Originally Posted by rweakley View Post
    One 4X8 piece of plywood makes 4 very solid long lasting nuc boxes for about 25$
    I did the same thing, sold one painted to a club member $40, the rest were free. :-)

The only thing I would change is a screen bottom or atleast a trap door that allows you to open a screen for warmer weather nucs and mite drop.

You do have to fold parts down to make a frame rest. It's there.

Quote Originally Posted by burns375 View Post
    I did the same thing, sold one painted to a club member $40, the rest were free. :-)

The only thing I would change is a screen bottom or atleast a trap door that allows you to open a screen for warmer weather nucs and mite drop.
    I changed the lid from migratory to telescoping. I didn't like how the migratorys made this way warped and made extra entrances. I overwinter in some of my dcoates so the telescoping just made more sense to me. You have to change the measurements for the lid a bit for them to work, but you still get 4 boxes out of the 4x8 plywood. I put a vent at the back of the nuc and of course there's entrance at the front. I did change the entrance also to a round hole instead of the rectangle cut out. I like to put the plastic select an entrances on mine that way I can have it wide open, queen excluder, vented, or just plain closed. I paint the end grain with titebond II before I paint the entire box with a good exterior paint. These will last for years.

Fold the frame rest and they work fine. Went thru over 100 of them this spring and they worked great. Like mentioned already don't leave bees locked in too long or they do enlarge ventilation holes!
    Hugus Creek Honey Farm: St. Maries, ID / Lewiston, ID
    Like us on Facebook

I looked at the dcoates plan for making nucs, and I am going to do that instead! Thank you for mentioning it, neighbor (I am from MO as well -- Joplin area).