Default Greetings from Central Florida

Hello, I am new to bee keeping and really excited to start. Bee keeping has been on my list of things to do for 20 years now, and I am finally getting around to it. I have spent some time with a local beekeeper and have learned a lot from him. I read everything I can and listen to every podcast possible. I am a pest control operator and have been getting a bunch of calls for bees lately. I really want to keep feral bees. There is a lot of hoopla about AHB in my area, but I have only come across one "HOT" hive. All the others have been quite docile. It kills me that the recommended practice in my area is to kill them. I hate this and want to figure a way out of this recommended best practice. I will educate myself and figure out how to coexist with these feral bees!!

Default Re: Greetings from Central Florida

Welcome, and how refreshing to see a pco who wants to rescue bees! It's a good way to start beekeeping, you will learn so much about the bees that way. I agree with the hoopla remark--I've done quite a few cut outs, trap outs, bait boxes, and my meanest hives so far have come from commercial beekeepers.
    "Rule Three of beekeeping...Never cease to feel wonder" Laurie R. King--
    March 2010; +/- 30 hives, TF

Hello and welcome!

welcome. you have a interesting endeavor ahead of you.

Welcome! You just missed a training course that you could have used for CEUs and to learn exactly what you are looking for.
    Two CEU Classes, July 15th during the FES meeting

Workshop: Removing Honey Bees from Structures (2 CEUs for Commercial GHP, or Limited Structural). Instructor: William H. Kern, Jr. Ft. Lauderdale Research and Education Center, IFAS, University of Florida 10 am to 12 pm.

This workshop will discuss honey bee biology and how to remove honey bee colonies from structures. Both lethal pest control techniques and non-lethal beekeeper techniques will be discussed and demonstrated.
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

Thanks for the responses. This forum is an incredible place!! Wow, the dedication and love for bees is very inspiring.

Welcome to the site!

Welcome to the forum and great to hear you are trying to change the attitude of pest controllers in your area.

Alas I have heard of similar pest controllers in New Zealand doing the same thing, destroying perfectly good swarms in the process.

Welcome to the world of beekeeping…Gary
    Gary Fawcett
    We blog and Podcast about beekeeping at http://kiwimana.co.nz