Thread: 2 out of 3

Default 2 out of 3

Back on the 29th we checked my hives , found virgin queens in 3 of my hives and the 4th we left with 2 queen cells . This morning I checked , found 2 of the hives have laying queens now , the 3rd has no sign of a queen . So I pulled a frame from one of the other 2 that had some eggs and put that in the queenless hive . In another week I'll check that one and the one that had QC's on the 29th , one should have QC's and the other one a laying queen by
    then . I guess that explains why that one hive has been so defensive , no queen and no chance of making one because there was no brood . I'm guessing she never made it back from her mating flights .
    The one virgin queen AR Beekeeper took home was apparently killed by the nuc he tried to introduce it to . I guess we can't win 'em all . But hey , 2 of my hives now have mated queens , and as long as I have brood and bees I can keep on truckin' .
    A question - the queenless hive has pretty much filled all the comb with syrup/nectar , would it be a good idea to add a second box ? A medium , since right now there's no chance of brood ? I want to keep brood in the deeps , honey in the mediums .
    Retired wannabee Hillbilly Farmer in backwoods Arkansas
    Our biggest crop is rocks ...

Default Re: 2 out of 3

Sometimes a package queen will take two weeks to start to lay. That would be on the 13th...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    Sometimes a package queen will take two weeks to start to lay. That would be on the 13th...
    This wasn't a package , it was a split and they had a virgin queen on the 29th . The other 2 hives that we (AR Beekeeper and I ) inspected that day that had virgin queens and both have eggs now , that's where I got the ones I put in . There was syrup/nectar in every frame , nowhere for a queen to lay eggs if she was present . In the event she's there and just hasn't started laying there's no harm done , all I put in was some eggs . I made sure the queen from the donor hive wasn't on that frame ...
    Either way it goes I'll know in a week when I check again . There will either be queen cells or eggs by then .
    Last edited by Terry C; 05-07-2015 at 01:17 PM. Reason: additional info
    Retired wannabee Hillbilly Farmer in backwoods Arkansas
    Our biggest crop is rocks ...

>This wasn't a package , it was a split and they had a virgin queen on the 29th .

Then she should likely be laying on the 13th and for sure by the 20th.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF