Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Long Absent Bumblebee Returns to Seattle Area In Spite Of Increased Neonicotinoid Use

16K views 38 replies 15 participants last post by  gwpeter911 
#1 ·
#6 ·
So Rader Sidetrack is your real name huh?

I don't have a thing to hide. I know from many years of being online that marketers, SPAMers, and con artists regularly scan internet forums looking for personal information, so I limit that as much as possible.

The big difference between myself and BlueDiamond is that I actually joined BeeSource to talk about bees. I own bees, I manage bees, I want to learn about bees and share info with others about bees, and I post here about bees a lot.

BlueDiamond on the other hand has NEVER made a SINGLE POST about bees here on BeeSource. Not one. EVERY.SINGLE.ONE of his posts have been about pesticides, and, here's the shocker--all of his posts take a pro-pesticide industry position---this thread is a textbook example. In the internet world, that's called a corporate shill and most forums require that people who are being paid to post identify their affiliations so that everyone is clear about the motivations behind their posts i.e especially if the person has a vested financial interest.

#12 ·
would anyone mind if I used this thread to demonstrate to my students how extremist stand firm on a hard line unwilling to yield a single point. And use innuendo rather than sound facts to discredit those with opposing point of view. all the while hiding behind a moniker.

#14 ·
I don't buy into the "cyber-stalking" excuse. No one is asking for Social Security numbers, passwords, sensitive personal information or even exact physical addresses if that bothers you and I am not speaking to the many folks on here who use their favorite nickname but make little effort to hide their identity. If you are afraid to put your name on an opinion about about beekeeping then accept the fact that people will always question your motivation and will devalue your posts accordingly.

#16 ·
But Jim do you realize that for some people to put their name on a public forum would be no different than listing their sensitive personal information such as physical address, photos, telephone number, workplace, name of spouse and family members, etc., because that is exactly where a simple Google search of their name would lead to? You seem to view it as simply a matter of fear or courage but sometimes it is actually more a matter of wisdom and discretion, especially seeing how worked up and emotional people can become during discussions on the Internet. I think it is up to the individual to weigh their personal situation and the forum, before deciding for themselves what information to place out on a public website for any and all anonymous viewers to see.

#22 ·
Not an excuse. This is reality we live in. People provide way too much information about themselves as it is, and it becomes just a matter of looking it up. For example, if I cross reference BlueDimond's posts with other information available online I get to this link where he describes his line of work.
Perhaps I should have more clearly made my point which is that ones privacy is only compromised by that which you choose to reveal about yourself. Again, no one is asking for passwords, SS #'s, or even e-mail addresses if you so choose. I fail to see how opinions about beekeeping are something for which there is any need for privacy. Part of the life of any bee researcher is publicizing the results of their research, why is giving ones own opinion about beekeeping any different? It would seem to be a requirement if one expects to be taken seriously and just as importantly it would surely lead to more civil discussion.

#23 ·
Perhaps I should have more clearly made my point which is that ones privacy is only compromised by that which you choose to reveal about yourself. Again, no one is asking for passwords, SS #'s, or even e-mail addresses if you so choose. I fail to see how opinions about beekeeping are something for which there is any need for privacy. Part of the life of any bee researcher is publicizing the results of their research, why is giving ones own opinion about beekeeping any different? It would seem to be a requirement if one expects to be taken seriously and just as importantly it would surely lead to more civil discussion.
One's privacy is also compromised by information that others reveal such as in ArtSmart's example with the tax collector. A decision to not post your name on a public forum doesn't warrant "that people will always question your motivation and will devalue your posts" any more than someone posting a name ensures that it is a real one and that they deserve to be "taken seriously." I don't believe that most nicknames used here are meant to hide an identity, and many of them aren't even as anonymous as they appear.

This post has been deleted
#19 ·
What I DO have a problem with is people with vested financial interests in the subject matter of their posts not disclosing said financial interests and/or pretending to be a "regular joe" making posts to a forum when in fact you actually work for the industry/company/business that you always post so favorably about.
This is a beekeeping forum. Many beekeepers sell honey/bees/queens/hives etc. Every one of those Beesource members has a "vested financial interest in the subject matter"!

So, if you were running Beesource, you are going to REQUIRE disclosure of those financial interests in order to become a Beesource member?

:ws:

:eek: :lpf:

Might as well just require posting of every member's IRS 1040 form! That would certainly result in some discussion! :lookout:

#24 ·
The reappearance of Bombus occidentalis (western bumble bee) is good news.

However, we should also be concerned about the increase in the population of Bombus impatiens (common eastern bumble bee).

Much of the increase of Bombus impatiens is likely due to its use as the primary greenhouse pollinator here in the U.S. .

There is no requirement to keep them screened inside greenhouses.

The biggest threat to beekeepers comes from a recent study showing that Bombus impatiens is a host for DWV, meaning that DWV can replicate in the common eastern bumble bee.

So, the eastern bumble bee is increasing and a pathogen reservoir, while the western bumble bee is critically endangered.

I'm not sure how neonics are involved with the western bumble bee's population crash. That could be from Nosema bombi.

#32 ·
The biggest threat to beekeepers comes from a recent study showing that Bombus impatiens is a host for DWV, meaning that DWV can replicate in the common eastern bumble bee.
Not to change the subject but can Varroa destructor jump hosts or are they specific to honey bees? If they can't jump hosts then Bombus impatiens as a DWV reservoir is less of a concern. Guess I can google this.

#27 ·
Veggiegardner: A google search led me to your website as well. No name, no e-mail, necessary. My compliments, its very well done. Barry certainly need not have compromised any information you gave him privately to access it. The point, though, is that the great majority of folks on here make little if any attempt to conceal their identities whether they use a screen name different than their own or not and many on here even show their own web sites as part of their personal information. If there is something in your life you wish to keep private I would suggest you not post on the internet.... anywhere. I suppose anytime I mention that I feed, or treat my bees or even use an excluder I risk inciting someone to find out something more about what other beekeeping misadventure I might be up to but I guess thats just a chance I am willing to take. :)

#29 ·
Thanks Jim, and I knew from the day one that I was doing nothing to attempt to conceal my identity with the user name and info that I posted here, that was never my intent and also what I meant when I mentioned that most of the screen names that people use around here are not really anonymous. I just recognize how much info is available on the net and that not everyone is comfortable using their name, in fact most don't use their actual names. I wasn't saying that Barry compromised any private info but if it were me I would avoid sharing anything private in his position. I agree that anyone concerned with their privacy shouldn't post info on the Internet but it really shouldn't be that way and we shouldn't have to take "chances" in order to express our opinions with one another on the Internet.

#28 ·
I will always place more reliance on posts from individuals who use their names. But that is just me. A google of my username here will lead you right to me as my name is very rare. Using your real name helps keep you honest and a bit more friendly in your responses, hence it keeps you more responsible as to what you post or not. There are those that should never use their name as they are to quick to respond and get themselves into trouble or worse. there are valid reason not to, but if managed correctly, it is not a problem.

#31 ·
Art: Check out Jim Lyon, Herrick, SD. You will quite easily see there is such a person and that he even has a phone number you can call if you need verification. Yes I am in fact a Jim, but I also answer to Jimmy, Honey, Dad, Grampa, Jimbo and occasionally to Hey You. Don't make this sinister or complicated Art (is it Art?) cause it's really not. I am pretty sure I speak for the great majority on here who are pretty open about their identities and I think their postings reflect that as well.

#33 ·
Art: Check out Jim Lyon, Herrick, SD.
You missed my point. I wasn't trying to prove to you that you are not a Jim. However, since you mentioned it, the fact that there is really a Jim Lyon with an adress and a phone number doesn't really prove that that person is he who's been using jim lyon nickname on this forum, wouldn't you agree? If I tell you that my real name is Oprah Winfrey, who does have an address and a phone number, would you believe me? But again, that is not my point. My point is - it doesn't matter.

I am pretty sure I speak for the great majority on here...
You are mistaken - you speak for yourself. People can agree or disagree with your opinion, but then again, people are fickle that way.

#35 ·
You missed my point Art. I've been on Beesource for a number of years. There are few interact with that I haven't long since discerned their identities and I think that's a good thing. After all what we are doing here is nothing more than ""taking the floor" in a large public beekeeping (most of the time) discussion. Think large townhall style meeting. Live in a cocoon if you feel you must but for me I will freely add my name to my opinion.

#36 ·
Live in a cocoon if you feel you must but for me I will freely add my name to my opinion.
I’ll stay here, not budging! I can and I will
If it makes you and me and the whole world stand still!”
Well...
Of course the world didn’t stand still. The world grew.
In a couple of years, the new highway came through
And they built it right over those two stubborn Zax
And left them there, standing unbudged in
their tracks.

By all means. I never said you shouldn't. :)

#39 · (Edited)
Bumbles of many varieties seemed to have made a surprising comeback this spring on our orchard, including B. Impatiens. Found dozens of little nests in old birdhouses, under flowerpots, and small underground holes. Learned quite a bit about the plight of the bumblebee and IDing types of bumbles here:

"You can also take direct action to reduce the threat from neonicotinoids: Check your own garage or garden shed for neonicotinoid products, and stop using them. For more information, see the brochure "Protecting Bees from Neonicotinoid Insecticides in Your Garden" and the recent Wings article "Neonicotinoids in Your Garden." Both are available at www.xerces.org/pesticides.

Very informative nonprofit site on bees, dragonflies and other struggling pollinators. They are looking for volunteers to count and ID. Am I off or on topic?:shhhh:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.