Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 39 of 39
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Gaithersburg, MD
    Posts
    363

    Default Re: Long Absent Bumblebee Returns to Seattle Area In Spite Of Increased Neonicotinoid

    Quote Originally Posted by VeggieGardener View Post
    Lot's of personal information that individuals themselves didn't post finds its way onto the Net and once it is out there you have no control over it or capability to remove it even if you wanted to.
    May be the case--hasn't happened to me yet that I can tell. That's some scary stuff though and I think we, as a society, are going down a very bad road--just look at all the current big gov abuses going on. We are becoming the very thing our ancestors immigrated here to escape.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Herrick, SD USA
    Posts
    4,395

    Default Re: Long Absent Bumblebee Returns to Seattle Area In Spite Of Increased Neonicotinoid

    Quote Originally Posted by ArtSmart View Post
    Not an excuse. This is reality we live in. People provide way too much information about themselves as it is, and it becomes just a matter of looking it up. For example, if I cross reference BlueDimond's posts with other information available online I get to this link where he describes his line of work.
    Perhaps I should have more clearly made my point which is that ones privacy is only compromised by that which you choose to reveal about yourself. Again, no one is asking for passwords, SS #'s, or even e-mail addresses if you so choose. I fail to see how opinions about beekeeping are something for which there is any need for privacy. Part of the life of any bee researcher is publicizing the results of their research, why is giving ones own opinion about beekeeping any different? It would seem to be a requirement if one expects to be taken seriously and just as importantly it would surely lead to more civil discussion.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    81

    Default Re: Long Absent Bumblebee Returns to Seattle Area In Spite Of Increased Neonicotinoid

    Quote Originally Posted by jim lyon View Post
    Perhaps I should have more clearly made my point which is that ones privacy is only compromised by that which you choose to reveal about yourself. Again, no one is asking for passwords, SS #'s, or even e-mail addresses if you so choose. I fail to see how opinions about beekeeping are something for which there is any need for privacy. Part of the life of any bee researcher is publicizing the results of their research, why is giving ones own opinion about beekeeping any different? It would seem to be a requirement if one expects to be taken seriously and just as importantly it would surely lead to more civil discussion.
    One's privacy is also compromised by information that others reveal such as in ArtSmart's example with the tax collector. A decision to not post your name on a public forum doesn't warrant "that people will always question your motivation and will devalue your posts" any more than someone posting a name ensures that it is a real one and that they deserve to be "taken seriously." I don't believe that most nicknames used here are meant to hide an identity, and many of them aren't even as anonymous as they appear.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    New York City, NY
    Posts
    4,317

    Default Re: Long Absent Bumblebee Returns to Seattle Area In Spite Of Increased Neonicotinoid

    The reappearance of Bombus occidentalis (western bumble bee) is good news.

    However, we should also be concerned about the increase in the population of Bombus impatiens (common eastern bumble bee).

    Much of the increase of Bombus impatiens is likely due to its use as the primary greenhouse pollinator here in the U.S. .

    There is no requirement to keep them screened inside greenhouses.

    The biggest threat to beekeepers comes from a recent study showing that Bombus impatiens is a host for DWV, meaning that DWV can replicate in the common eastern bumble bee.

    So, the eastern bumble bee is increasing and a pathogen reservoir, while the western bumble bee is critically endangered.

    I'm not sure how neonics are involved with the western bumble bee's population crash. That could be from Nosema bombi.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Location
    DuPage County, Illinois USA
    Posts
    9,460

    Default Re: Long Absent Bumblebee Returns to Seattle Area In Spite Of Increased Neonicotinoid

    Quote Originally Posted by VeggieGardener View Post
    But Jim do you realize that for some people to put their name on a public forum would be no different than listing their sensitive personal information such as physical address, photos, telephone number, workplace, name of spouse and family members, etc., because that is exactly where a simple Google search of their name would lead to?
    It led me right to your website where pretty much all this info is listed! If you already have it out there, I don't understand your point.
    Regards, Barry

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    81

    Default Re: Long Absent Bumblebee Returns to Seattle Area In Spite Of Increased Neonicotinoid

    Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    It led me right to your website where pretty much all this info is listed! If you already have it out there, I don't understand your point.
    My point had nothing to do with my own personal information, some of which I knowingly choose to put out there in a way that is readily accessible, but not everyone on here does and to expect others to attach their name to this forum in order to be taken seriously isn't fair or required here, which is the point I was trying to make in response to Jim's comments and expectations.

    You as an administrator needed go no further than my name, email, and other info that I provided when I registered as a member here to be led right to info that is listed on the Internet about me or any other member of this forum, and therefore should have a responsibility to respect privacy to an even greater degree.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Herrick, SD USA
    Posts
    4,395

    Default Re: Long Absent Bumblebee Returns to Seattle Area In Spite Of Increased Neonicotinoid

    Veggiegardner: A google search led me to your website as well. No name, no e-mail, necessary. My compliments, its very well done. Barry certainly need not have compromised any information you gave him privately to access it. The point, though, is that the great majority of folks on here make little if any attempt to conceal their identities whether they use a screen name different than their own or not and many on here even show their own web sites as part of their personal information. If there is something in your life you wish to keep private I would suggest you not post on the internet.... anywhere. I suppose anytime I mention that I feed, or treat my bees or even use an excluder I risk inciting someone to find out something more about what other beekeeping misadventure I might be up to but I guess thats just a chance I am willing to take.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Panama City, Florida, USA
    Posts
    556

    Default Re: Long Absent Bumblebee Returns to Seattle Area In Spite Of Increased Neonicotinoid

    I will always place more reliance on posts from individuals who use their names. But that is just me. A google of my username here will lead you right to me as my name is very rare. Using your real name helps keep you honest and a bit more friendly in your responses, hence it keeps you more responsible as to what you post or not. There are those that should never use their name as they are to quick to respond and get themselves into trouble or worse. there are valid reason not to, but if managed correctly, it is not a problem.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    81

    Default Re: Long Absent Bumblebee Returns to Seattle Area In Spite Of Increased Neonicotinoid

    Quote Originally Posted by jim lyon View Post
    Veggiegardner: A google search led me to your website as well. No name, no e-mail, necessary. My compliments, its very well done. Barry certainly need not have compromised any information you gave him privately to access it. The point, though, is that the great majority of folks on here make little if any attempt to conceal their identities whether they use a screen name different than their own or not and many on here even show their own web sites as part of their personal information. If there is something in your life you wish to keep private I would suggest you not post on the internet.... anywhere. I suppose anytime I mention that I feed, or treat my bees or even use an excluder I risk inciting someone to find out something more about what other beekeeping misadventure I might be up to but I guess thats just a chance I am willing to take.
    Thanks Jim, and I knew from the day one that I was doing nothing to attempt to conceal my identity with the user name and info that I posted here, that was never my intent and also what I meant when I mentioned that most of the screen names that people use around here are not really anonymous. I just recognize how much info is available on the net and that not everyone is comfortable using their name, in fact most don't use their actual names. I wasn't saying that Barry compromised any private info but if it were me I would avoid sharing anything private in his position. I agree that anyone concerned with their privacy shouldn't post info on the Internet but it really shouldn't be that way and we shouldn't have to take "chances" in order to express our opinions with one another on the Internet.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Lutz, FL, USA
    Posts
    77

    Default Re: Long Absent Bumblebee Returns to Seattle Area In Spite Of Increased Neonicotinoid

    Quote Originally Posted by jim lyon View Post
    If there is something in your life you wish to keep private I would suggest you not post on the internet.... anywhere.
    If only it was that simple. You can not divulge information about yourself but it doesn't grantee your privacy. Jim - can I call you Jim? If you are really a Jim. At this point you are just arguing for the sake of arguing. Unless you provide a copy of your driver's license with your fingerprints I have no way of knowing if you are REALLY Jim Lyons. And guess what? I couldn't care less! You can be Kris Kringle for all I care. I pay attention to the information provided, to the experience, to the soundness of the advice, to how balanced your point of view is. Now, if somebody wants to beat himself in the chest and push his point based on his degrees or published works or how many credit hours they've got in a local college then you would probably need to post your name and a link to you facebook page, so that everybody can realize who they are dealing with. I can enjoy reading Tom Sawyer based on the merit of the book regardless of whether I know that Mark Twain is not really author's real name. One needs to know when to concede a point, especially when the point doesn't really matter in the first place. It promotes healthy discussion and hopefully both sides learn something new. Your style of discussion seem to follow Dr. Seuss's (which by the way wasn't his real name either) character South-Going Zax:

    "For I live by a rule
    That I learned as a boy back in South-Going School.
    Never budge! That's my rule. Never budge in the least!
    Not an inch to the west! Not an inch to the east!
    I'll stay here, not budging! I can and I will
    If it makes you and me and the whole world stand still!"

    Well that's not much of a discussion.

  11. #31
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Herrick, SD USA
    Posts
    4,395

    Default Re: Long Absent Bumblebee Returns to Seattle Area In Spite Of Increased Neonicotinoid

    Art: Check out Jim Lyon, Herrick, SD. You will quite easily see there is such a person and that he even has a phone number you can call if you need verification. Yes I am in fact a Jim, but I also answer to Jimmy, Honey, Dad, Grampa, Jimbo and occasionally to Hey You. Don't make this sinister or complicated Art (is it Art?) cause it's really not. I am pretty sure I speak for the great majority on here who are pretty open about their identities and I think their postings reflect that as well.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

  12. #32
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Gaithersburg, MD
    Posts
    363

    Default Re: Long Absent Bumblebee Returns to Seattle Area In Spite Of Increased Neonicotinoid

    Quote Originally Posted by WLC View Post
    The biggest threat to beekeepers comes from a recent study showing that Bombus impatiens is a host for DWV, meaning that DWV can replicate in the common eastern bumble bee.
    Not to change the subject but can Varroa destructor jump hosts or are they specific to honey bees? If they can't jump hosts then Bombus impatiens as a DWV reservoir is less of a concern. Guess I can google this.

  13. #33
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Lutz, FL, USA
    Posts
    77

    Default Re: Long Absent Bumblebee Returns to Seattle Area In Spite Of Increased Neonicotinoid

    Quote Originally Posted by jim lyon View Post
    Art: Check out Jim Lyon, Herrick, SD.
    You missed my point. I wasn't trying to prove to you that you are not a Jim. However, since you mentioned it, the fact that there is really a Jim Lyon with an adress and a phone number doesn't really prove that that person is he who's been using jim lyon nickname on this forum, wouldn't you agree? If I tell you that my real name is Oprah Winfrey, who does have an address and a phone number, would you believe me? But again, that is not my point. My point is - it doesn't matter.

    Quote Originally Posted by jim lyon View Post
    I am pretty sure I speak for the great majority on here...
    You are mistaken - you speak for yourself. People can agree or disagree with your opinion, but then again, people are fickle that way.

  14. #34
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Gaithersburg, MD
    Posts
    363

    Default Re: Long Absent Bumblebee Returns to Seattle Area In Spite Of Increased Neonicotinoid

    Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    It led me right to your website where pretty much all this info is listed! If you already have it out there, I don't understand your point.
    That was my point though. Can't complain when you are already putting it out there.

    That being said, though, I agree w/ veggiegardener that using a moniker instead of your real name does not diminish the integrity of your post until you've proven otherwise--by relentlessly pushing one point of view and attacking those who disagree w/ character attacks. Given the trash on other boards out there this board, as Jim points out, is remarkably civil and there is a certain level of trust that can be given to mosts posts here that does not exist on other boards (ever look at a stock msg board?)

    What it boils down to is that the level of trust one can have in a stranger in our society is quickly degrading and I think this is the biggest threat we face. Whether the internet contributes to this or not is another debate.

  15. #35
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Herrick, SD USA
    Posts
    4,395

    Default Re: Long Absent Bumblebee Returns to Seattle Area In Spite Of Increased Neonicotinoid

    You missed my point Art. I've been on Beesource for a number of years. There are few interact with that I haven't long since discerned their identities and I think that's a good thing. After all what we are doing here is nothing more than ""taking the floor" in a large public beekeeping (most of the time) discussion. Think large townhall style meeting. Live in a cocoon if you feel you must but for me I will freely add my name to my opinion.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

  16. #36
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Lutz, FL, USA
    Posts
    77

    Default Re: Long Absent Bumblebee Returns to Seattle Area In Spite Of Increased Neonicotinoid

    Quote Originally Posted by jim lyon View Post
    Live in a cocoon if you feel you must but for me I will freely add my name to my opinion.
    I’ll stay here, not budging! I can and I will
    If it makes you and me and the whole world stand still!”
    Well...
    Of course the world didn’t stand still. The world grew.
    In a couple of years, the new highway came through
    And they built it right over those two stubborn Zax
    And left them there, standing unbudged in
    their tracks.


    By all means. I never said you shouldn't.

  17. #37
    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Location
    DuPage County, Illinois USA
    Posts
    9,460

    Default Re: Long Absent Bumblebee Returns to Seattle Area In Spite Of Increased Neonicotinoid

    You're well versed in Dr. Seuss. Almost as if you're around preschool kids all day, there in Lutz, Florida.
    Regards, Barry

  18. #38
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Lutz, FL, USA
    Posts
    77

    Default Re: Long Absent Bumblebee Returns to Seattle Area In Spite Of Increased Neonicotinoid

    Reading it now to the third kid growing up, I can almost quote the hole thing in my sleep Surprisingly, there are some pearls of wisdom hidden there

  19. #39
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Fairfield County, CT
    Posts
    10

    Question Re: Long Absent Bumblebee Returns to Seattle Area In Spite Of Increased Neonicotinoid

    Bumbles of many varieties seemed to have made a surprising comeback this spring on our orchard, including B. Impatiens. Found dozens of little nests in old birdhouses, under flowerpots, and small underground holes. Learned quite a bit about the plight of the bumblebee and IDing types of bumbles here:

    "You can also take direct action to reduce the threat from neonicotinoids: Check your own garage or garden shed for neonicotinoid products, and stop using them. For more information, see the brochure "Protecting Bees from Neonicotinoid Insecticides in Your Garden" and the recent Wings article "Neonicotinoids in Your Garden." Both are available at www.xerces.org/pesticides.

    Very informative nonprofit site on bees, dragonflies and other struggling pollinators. They are looking for volunteers to count and ID. Am I off or on topic?
    Last edited by gwpeter911; 08-16-2013 at 08:49 AM. Reason: website spelled www.xerces.org

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Ads