Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 39
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Sacramento, Calif. USA
    Posts
    272

    Default Long Absent Bumblebee Returns to Seattle Area In Spite Of Increased Neonicotinoid Use

    http://news.yahoo.com/return-long-ab...120655098.html

    Bombus occidentalis vanished from western Washington in the early-mid 1990's - before the neonicotinoid insecticides were even available - but has recently reappeared in the Seattle area, in spite of the now widespread use of neonics.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Macoupin,Illinois,USA
    Posts
    351

    Default Re: Long Absent Bumblebee Returns to Seattle Area In Spite Of Increased Neonicotinoid

    Good News....Where u suppose Monsanto had them stored for past 10 years???

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Eugene, Oregon USA
    Posts
    323

    Default Re: Long Absent Bumblebee Returns to Seattle Area In Spite Of Increased Neonicotinoid

    Are you ever going to tell us which pesticide company or lobbying firm you work for BluDiamond?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Rader, Greene County, Tennessee, USA
    Posts
    5,663

    Default Re: Long Absent Bumblebee Returns to Seattle Area In Spite Of Increased Neonicotinoid

    BigDawg -
    Your Beesource profile says you listed your occupation as "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy". Looks like you have got something to hide yourself!



    -- Victor Hugo -- "Common sense is in spite of, not the result of, education.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Eugene, Oregon USA
    Posts
    323

    Default Re: Long Absent Bumblebee Returns to Seattle Area In Spite Of Increased Neonicotinoid

    Right next to the "ghost wheat" that was just found illegally growing in an Oregon field....

    Quote Originally Posted by mrqb View Post
    Good News....Where u suppose Monsanto had them stored for past 10 years???

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Eugene, Oregon USA
    Posts
    323

    Default Re: Long Absent Bumblebee Returns to Seattle Area In Spite Of Increased Neonicotinoid

    So Rader Sidetrack is your real name huh?

    I don't have a thing to hide. I know from many years of being online that marketers, SPAMers, and con artists regularly scan internet forums looking for personal information, so I limit that as much as possible.

    The big difference between myself and BlueDiamond is that I actually joined BeeSource to talk about bees. I own bees, I manage bees, I want to learn about bees and share info with others about bees, and I post here about bees a lot.

    BlueDiamond on the other hand has NEVER made a SINGLE POST about bees here on BeeSource. Not one. EVERY.SINGLE.ONE of his posts have been about pesticides, and, here's the shocker--all of his posts take a pro-pesticide industry position---this thread is a textbook example. In the internet world, that's called a corporate shill and most forums require that people who are being paid to post identify their affiliations so that everyone is clear about the motivations behind their posts i.e especially if the person has a vested financial interest.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rader Sidetrack View Post
    BigDawg -
    Your Beesource profile says you listed your occupation as "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy". Looks like you have got something to hide yourself!




  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Gaithersburg, MD
    Posts
    363

    Default Re: Long Absent Bumblebee Returns to Seattle Area In Spite Of Increased Neonicotinoid

    Quote Originally Posted by BigDawg View Post
    So Rader Sidetrack is your real name huh?
    I'm guessing his name is Graham since it states that in the footer of his posts.

    Quote Originally Posted by BigDawg View Post
    on the other hand has NEVER made a SINGLE POST about bees here on BeeSource. Not one. EVERY.SINGLE.ONE of his posts have been about pesticides, and, here's the shocker--all of his posts take a pro-pesticide industry position---this thread is a textbook example. In the internet world, that's called a corporate shill and most forums require that people who are being paid to post identify their affiliations so that everyone is clear about the motivations behind their posts i.e especially if the person has a vested financial interest.
    This may be true but it still does not negate the story. It is also true that this story really has nothing to do w/ Neonics. Just suggests that us scientists really have no clue what is going on despite how smart we think we are. I, too, joined beesource to talk and learn beekeeping so I generally refrain from trench warfare on speculative subjects such as this.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Location
    DuPage County, Illinois USA
    Posts
    9,304

    Default Re: Long Absent Bumblebee Returns to Seattle Area In Spite Of Increased Neonicotinoid

    Quote Originally Posted by BigDawg View Post
    BlueDiamond on the other hand has NEVER made a SINGLE POST about bees here on BeeSource. Not one. EVERY.SINGLE.ONE of his posts have been about pesticides, and, here's the shocker--all of his posts take a pro-pesticide industry position---this thread is a textbook example. In the internet world, that's called a corporate shill and most forums require that people who are being paid to post identify their affiliations so that everyone is clear about the motivations behind their posts i.e especially if the person has a vested financial interest.
    Not this again! I explained to you in a PM that I really don't concern myself with which member backs what position on any given topic. The words members post have to stand on their own merit. BlueDiamond has remained civil in his/her discussion and I take the position that people promoting both sides of an issue give me a better understanding. Why are you so obsessed with who BD is? It won't change one thing about the validity of his/her posts. You remain just as hidden behind your user name. Shall we refer to you as a special interest group shill?
    Regards, Barry

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Great Falls Montana
    Posts
    3,824

    Default Re: Long Absent Bumblebee Returns to Seattle Area In Spite Of Increased Neonicotinoid

    It is cause to rejoice that the bumble is back.
    Last edited by Barry; 07-20-2013 at 07:40 AM. Reason: off topic

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Eugene, Oregon USA
    Posts
    323

    Default Re: Long Absent Bumblebee Returns to Seattle Area In Spite Of Increased Neonicotinoid

    This thread/post has absolutely nothing to do with neonics or CCD other than the fact that the OP is a pro-pesticide lobbyist....

    Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Not this again! I explained to you in a PM that I really don't concern myself with which member backs what position on any given topic. The words members post have to stand on their own merit. BlueDiamond has remained civil in his/her discussion and I take the position that people promoting both sides of an issue give me a better understanding. Why are you so obsessed with who BD is? It won't change one thing about the validity of his/her posts. You remain just as hidden behind your user name. Shall we refer to you as a special interest group shill?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Location
    DuPage County, Illinois USA
    Posts
    9,304

    Default Re: Long Absent Bumblebee Returns to Seattle Area In Spite Of Increased Neonicotinoid

    I disagree. It has far more relevance to current topics of discussion than this one:

    http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...405#post969405
    Regards, Barry

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Knox, Pa. USA
    Posts
    1,243

    Default Re: Long Absent Bumblebee Returns to Seattle Area In Spite Of Increased Neonicotinoid

    would anyone mind if I used this thread to demonstrate to my students how extremist stand firm on a hard line unwilling to yield a single point. And use innuendo rather than sound facts to discredit those with opposing point of view. all the while hiding behind a moniker.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Posts
    166

    Default Re: Long Absent Bumblebee Returns to Seattle Area In Spite Of Increased Neonicotinoid

    Quote Originally Posted by Tenbears View Post
    would anyone mind if I used this thread to demonstrate to my students how extremist stand firm on a hard line unwilling to yield a single point. And use innuendo rather than sound facts to discredit those with opposing point of view. all the while hiding behind a moniker.
    That's awesome. Can I quote you over on a weapons forum I frequent? This is child's play compared to their religious thread.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Herrick, SD USA
    Posts
    4,231

    Default Re: Long Absent Bumblebee Returns to Seattle Area In Spite Of Increased Neonicotinoid

    I don't buy into the "cyber-stalking" excuse. No one is asking for Social Security numbers, passwords, sensitive personal information or even exact physical addresses if that bothers you and I am not speaking to the many folks on here who use their favorite nickname but make little effort to hide their identity. If you are afraid to put your name on an opinion about about beekeeping then accept the fact that people will always question your motivation and will devalue your posts accordingly.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Macoupin,Illinois,USA
    Posts
    351

    Default Re: Long Absent Bumblebee Returns to Seattle Area In Spite Of Increased Neonicotinoid

    Well said Jim. and for the record my name is Mark mrq are my initials the b well everyone should know what thats for.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    81

    Default Re: Long Absent Bumblebee Returns to Seattle Area In Spite Of Increased Neonicotinoid

    Quote Originally Posted by jim lyon View Post
    I don't buy into the "cyber-stalking" excuse. No one is asking for Social Security numbers, passwords, sensitive personal information or even exact physical addresses if that bothers you and I am not speaking to the many folks on here who use their favorite nickname but make little effort to hide their identity. If you are afraid to put your name on an opinion about about beekeeping then accept the fact that people will always question your motivation and will devalue your posts accordingly.
    But Jim do you realize that for some people to put their name on a public forum would be no different than listing their sensitive personal information such as physical address, photos, telephone number, workplace, name of spouse and family members, etc., because that is exactly where a simple Google search of their name would lead to? You seem to view it as simply a matter of fear or courage but sometimes it is actually more a matter of wisdom and discretion, especially seeing how worked up and emotional people can become during discussions on the Internet. I think it is up to the individual to weigh their personal situation and the forum, before deciding for themselves what information to place out on a public website for any and all anonymous viewers to see.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Gaithersburg, MD
    Posts
    363

    Default Re: Long Absent Bumblebee Returns to Seattle Area In Spite Of Increased Neonicotinoid

    Quote Originally Posted by VeggieGardener View Post
    But Jim do you realize that for some people to put their name on a public forum would be no different than listing their sensitive personal information such as physical address, photos, telephone number, workplace, name of spouse and family members, etc., because that is exactly where a simple Google search of their name would lead to?
    If this is what a google search of your name turns up then you obviously put way too much info in other places. When I google my name I can't find one piece of info about me other than a few pub--if you use the right search terms w/ my name. Of course this may be because I have no facebook page, I don't twitter, text or do anything of the sort (or could be that I am not adept at using google search). This board is as high tech as I get.

    Anyway, not supplying you true name is not the point here. The point is that labeling somebody who disagrees w/ you a shill in the "enemy's" pocket is a characteristic of someone who really is not interested in finding the facts--simply pushing their point of view.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Lutz, FL, USA
    Posts
    77

    Default Re: Long Absent Bumblebee Returns to Seattle Area In Spite Of Increased Neonicotinoid

    Quote Originally Posted by JClark View Post
    If this is what a google search of your name turns up then you obviously put way too much info in other places.
    Not necessarily. If I put my name in Google search the first page I get is a tax collector's office with my address on it.

    Quote Originally Posted by JClark View Post
    The point is that labeling somebody who disagrees w/ you a shill in the "enemy's" pocket is a characteristic of someone who really is not interested in finding the facts
    I can't agree with this statement. You are right, the point is not to know what the name of the person is, but what his motives are. I'm, for example a hobby beekeeper and here to learn more. If somebody here to lobby for chemical industry they can plainly admit it, I don't think rules of the forum would exclude them from the discussion.

    Quote Originally Posted by jim lyon View Post
    I don't buy into the "cyber-stalking" excuse.
    Not an excuse. This is reality we live in. People provide way too much information about themselves as it is, and it becomes just a matter of looking it up. For example, if I cross reference BlueDimond's posts with other information available online I get to this link where he describes his line of work.
    Last edited by ArtSmart; 07-23-2013 at 10:19 AM.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Rader, Greene County, Tennessee, USA
    Posts
    5,663

    Default Re: Long Absent Bumblebee Returns to Seattle Area In Spite Of Increased Neonicotinoid

    Quote Originally Posted by BigDawg View Post
    What I DO have a problem with is people with vested financial interests in the subject matter of their posts not disclosing said financial interests and/or pretending to be a "regular joe" making posts to a forum when in fact you actually work for the industry/company/business that you always post so favorably about.
    This is a beekeeping forum. Many beekeepers sell honey/bees/queens/hives etc. Every one of those Beesource members has a "vested financial interest in the subject matter"!

    So, if you were running Beesource, you are going to REQUIRE disclosure of those financial interests in order to become a Beesource member?







    Might as well just require posting of every member's IRS 1040 form! That would certainly result in some discussion!
    -- Victor Hugo -- "Common sense is in spite of, not the result of, education.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    81

    Default Re: Long Absent Bumblebee Returns to Seattle Area In Spite Of Increased Neonicotinoid

    Quote Originally Posted by JClark View Post
    If this is what a google search of your name turns up then you obviously put way too much info in other places. When I google my name I can't find one piece of info about me other than a few pub--if you use the right search terms w/ my name. Of course this may be because I have no facebook page, I don't twitter, text or do anything of the sort (or could be that I am not adept at using google search). This board is as high tech as I get.
    Lot's of personal information that individuals themselves didn't post finds its way onto the Net and once it is out there you have no control over it or capability to remove it even if you wanted to.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Ads