Default hello from new jersey

I am probably your newest newbie. I just got my nuc and installed it in my own deep brood box last Wednesday (july 10th ish). I had one heck of a time at it and thought I had huge problems. First I though my hive had chalk brood. turns out it was just two little dried out bird poops. Then I did my first inspection to make sure the queen was laying and I saw no brood or no eggs (new eye) I panicked and researched, called the people I got the nuc from. I finally called another apiary for a second opinion. I didn't want to take a chance so I ordered and had a queen shipped. My hive was also not very active. I would only see 6 to a dozen bees at any given time. that was what finally convinced me I was queenless. well, as I waited for my queen to arrive today, I noticed my hive just all of a sudden lit up. much more activity than usual. then I actually get my queen and attendants only to find she and the attendants were D.O.A. I was heart broken. I then decided to do another inspection just to see if I could see signs of hope in my hive. now, on my second inspection, I noticed more capping than last time. this time, both colors, like a brownish red and yellow. and I finally got a glimpse of brood that looked wet and uncapped. I started to really look for the queen, and just as I was about to give up, I found her. That is my first experience beekeeping. I'm starting to think that I am my own problem and just over thinking everything. If anyone can give me any first time advice, it would be very welcome. I read book after book and article after article. I think talking to people that actually do it is the best way to learn. my first question would be... after installing a 5 frame nuc, how long, typically, would it be until I add the next deep brood box?

Default Re: hello from new jersey

Welcome to Beesource!

> after installing a 5 frame nuc, how long, typically, would it be until I add the next deep brood box?

Generally, add a new box when they have about 80% of the lower box filled, so in a 10 frame box, after they are using 8 frames.

An enlarged photo showing eggs and larva:

Photo linked from: http://www.honeybeesuite.com/honey-b...he-brood-nest/

Obviously, larva are easier to see than eggs.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Quote Originally Posted by Rader Sidetrack View Post
    Welcome to Beesource!

> after installing a 5 frame nuc, how long, typically, would it be until I add the next deep brood box?

Generally, add a new box when they have about 80% of the lower box filled, so in a 10 frame box, after they are using 8 frames.

An enlarged photo showing eggs and larva:

Photo linked from: http://www.honeybeesuite.com/honey-b...he-brood-nest/

Obviously, larva are easier to see than eggs.
    Thank you for your knowledge kind sir.

Welcome! It can take several weeks until the bees have filled all the frames with 70 to 80 percent food and brood.
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

Hello and welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by AmericasBeekeeper View Post
    Welcome! It can take several weeks until the bees have filled all the frames with 70 to 80 percent food and brood.
    Thank you for your response.

Thank you!

Welcome to the site!

Thank you!