Default Cut out, smoke or no smoke??

Getting ready to do a pretty large cut out. Not my first but by far the biggest. I usually use smoke, but am i better off not too? Why so? I haven't done enough cut-outs to test the difference myself. Thanks, Jon.

Default Re: Cut out, smoke or no smoke??

I would never try one without... BUT I DO LIKE FISCHERS BEE QUICK BETTER last longer and doesn't sting the eyes

I smoke not like crazy but I like to get the girls thinking about loading up to abandon ship. that way they are less apt to worry about defending the hive. I also fee it sends the queen to the center of the comb where I am more likely to get her with the comb when I remove it. with that said I must add there are exceptions to every rule, and the location of the hive and the hives location within the structure sometimes dictate a different approach.

I typically don't use smoke anymore. I don't mind the bees defending their home to a point, but I do not want to run off the queen into hiding.

I am new to doing cutouts, but last month I did two cutouts in valve boxes at one of the city parks.
    I didn't use smoke at all to do the cut out, I was kind-of surprised when I opened the cover to both valve boxes, (this was on separate occasions) they didn't go crazy, they were very calm.
    I cut the brood out and put it in frames with rubber bands, after I did that I set the hive box at the edge of the valve box and they just marched right into the box.
    On one of the cutouts I had to leave the box there over night to get the bees to go in to the box.
    Temperatures here in Vegas has been around 105 to 110 when I did this
    Copy and past the link below to see a short video

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?ui...1&disp=safe&zw

I light my smoker when starting, I give them a quick puff just to calm them at first but it usually goes out in a couple of minutes after I start. I may use a little smoke at some point to corral bees if they are heading somewhere I don't want them to go, otherwise I don't use it.
    "Of all God's creatures, only the honeybee improves its environment and preys on no other species."--Haydon Brown

It' nice to have, helps move the ladies out of the way when cutting comb lose. Crushing bee's seem to tick them off more.

Great conversation.

A little to start, just to get them engorged. Then only small puffs to herd them. You don't want to drive them farther into the structure which they want to do during a cutout anyways.
    Bees, brews and fun
    in Lyons, CO