Hybrid View

Default Cut-out successful under mobile home - got lucky and found the queen (video)

First of all, I love top bar hives, but one thing I find that's a huge downfall with them vs Langs is the ease of doing cut-outs. If I do more of these in the future, or on a more consistent basis, I may have to consider having a batch of Langs dedicated to cut-outs. Someone may have tips on how to make it more easy with top bar hives - especially sealing them up after the fact. Please chime-in if so.

Now, for this cut-out I'm about to show, it was a situation where a the lady originally called a man who was going to come poison them. He told the lady, quote, "these bees can't be saved because they spread viruses to other bees". He also added that the lady should be prepared for a loud roar under her home from when he applies the poison. ISN'T THAT SWEET !?!?!?!?!

Anyhow, he never got back to her for several weeks. So she then called me because I was next on the list at the police dept or animal control.

The video pretty much speaks for itself. I'm very, very happy with how everything went - especially since I'm still fairly new at this:

Default Re: Cut-out successful under mobile home - got lucky and found the queen (video)

PatBeek,

Congrats on the successful cutout. I am doing my tenth cutout this evening. Check out the photo attached. These are kind of a pain to make, but you won't need many of them, and they have worked great.

John
    Attached Images Attached Images
    John Sampson-Tucker County, WV
    14 hives - All cutouts and swarms

Default Re: Cut-out successful under mobile home - got lucky and found the queen (video)

John, thanks.

I have seen Out Of A Blue Sky make those on his channel. That seems like a good option, indeed.

What I used this time was the half-inch hardware cloth bent into an L - kinda like sticking the comb on a pitchfork. I like it ok, except it seems weird that the hardware cloth will be embedded in the comb for however long that comb is around.

I think my biggest issue is sealing the top after it's all done. I'll just have to come up with a cover to place on the entrance that's quick and efficient and also a cover to go over it that will keep the top bars down completely sealed.

What do you all do when you come back at night and the bees are all in the hive, but there are about 20 of them hanging-out on the front porch? I had to tape a screen over the area very fast and then shore-up any possible leaks immediately. It's not easy when they have been somewhat alarmed - even at night. It all went well last night, but I need to have a better system.

Last edited by PatBeek; 07-16-2013 at 03:30 PM.

My method for solving that issue is using a piece of 3/8" plywood that is slightly warped. Sounds strange, but you can put 1" x 1" strips on each side to cap the end of the top bars, and the slight bow in the plywood with kind of clamps the ends of the bars once in place. If that makes no sense, I'll post a photo of how it works.
    John Sampson-Tucker County, WV
    14 hives - All cutouts and swarms

Quote Originally Posted by Cub View Post
    My method for solving that issue is using a piece of 3/8" plywood that is slightly warped. Sounds strange, but you can put 1" x 1" strips on each side to cap the end of the top bars, and the slight bow in the plywood with kind of clamps the ends of the bars once in place. If that makes no sense, I'll post a photo of how it works.
    Yes, please post a photo.

Very much appreciated.

Looks like you had fun. Good job!

Nice cut out Pat. I learned a while back that langs are just the ticket for cutouts.
    I had a real nice TBH that I built. Traded it for 80 frames and eight supers for the cutouts. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Beeman View Post
    Nice cut out Pat. I learned a while back that langs are just the ticket for cutouts.
    I had a real nice TBH that I built. Traded it for 80 frames and eight supers for the cutouts. lol
    Thanks, and yes, I may have to consider that.

Nothing wrong with having two types of hives. In fact, some of my top bar hives are totally different bar lengths and really aren't interchangeable anyhow. My barrel hives have top bars that are 2 feet total. Normal ones are only about 17 inches.

Maybe I should get a bunch of British National Hives while I'm at it......then throw in some Perrones and Warre's.

Dont forget the horizontal lang too!

Great cut out PatBeek! On the second cut out I ever did (with my friend's help who is not a beekeeper) we had the same deal where the queen was in the grass in a bundle of bees. My friend is the one who noticed, and found her. I didn't know at that time how tricky it can be to find the queen in a cut out.

How were the honey stores on your cutout? My country bees are in a bad situation--with rain and dearth, it's only mid July and my new colonies were bone dry. I just found out today as it's the first chance I had to get out there since I got back from vacation. It was strange, I could smell their distress as soon as I walked into the yard. I took honey frames from the hives I left real strong with stores. I stopped though because all the hives were getting pretty stirred up and I didn't want to create a big robbing problem. I've not seen it this bad and this is my 4th summer. Back yard bees doing ok, it's the country bees I'm very concerned about.

Not to hijack your thread, I just wondered how it is where you are.
    Are you getting all the rain like we are here in SWFL? Naples got over 6" in one day on Sunday.
    Thanks.
    Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. Prvb 16:24
    March 2010; +/- 30 hives, TF

I would have left the bees in the buckets and taken them and the brood home and dump it all together there. That way no bees would go back to the original location. Once I have them contained I don't want them loose again until they are on their final site. One beauty of a Bushkill vac into a lang is that you can merge the bees with the brood and still keep them enclosed. You stay long enough sucking up returning field bees and keep all the bees contained. No need to go back at night to pick them up.

odfrank, thanks for that suggestion. I'll have to build up to having such a nice setup as you just mentioned. I just love the idea of watching them all march into the box once the queen has been caught. If coming back to the location at night isn't an option, and/or the queen wasn't captured, then what you said would be the best route to go for sure.

Speaking of capturing the queen, here's a compilation JP The Beeman put together of catching queens:

Last edited by PatBeek; 07-17-2013 at 10:16 AM.

Also, watch this one where he's confident a swarm will march into a nuc he has on a ladder next to a tree where a swarm has landed, even though the queen is still outside the box with the swarm:

At 1:21 the queen walks into the hive. That is so cool!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Beeman View Post
    At 1:21 the queen walks into the hive. That is so cool!
    Yes, and it was briefly airborn before that.

I would have a heart attack.

I guess he has so many hives and has seen so much, that he can afford to play around and experiment like that.

I just can't believe he predicted the queen would go in.