Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Honey House

Default Re: Honey House

Thank you Clickbangbang. My experience concurs with your statements. Spilled hydraulic oil is hard to epoxy over when repairing a damaged flour.

Crazy Roland

Hey, I found this thread from a google search of "Honey House 500 hives." Just finished reading through it and I must say, this is a great thread. Very informative. I really appreciate the details about drains, gutters, hot room floors, concrete treatments.
    I am in the process of outgrowing every nook and cranny of storage and shop space that I have access to, and am starting to plan a building project. I currently operate just shy of 200 hives but am planning a space to accomodate 400-500, which is more or less my goal. It seems like one semi-load is a nice economy of scale, but that is a whole different thread.

Ben Little, you started this forum several years ago. Did you build your shop? What did you go with? How big? How much space dedicated to storage, extracting, office....

I have not started building, I put my money into bees until I can build the right type of facility I want and need. I like to do things right the first time and it seems that every time I speak to a beekeeper with a honey house they say the same thing "you can never build it big enough" so I will be going bigger than my original plans.
    Ben Little <The Little Bee Farm> https://www.facebook.com/TheLittleBeeFarm
    Nova Scotia Canada

Big Grin Re: Honey House

I think that is a very good idea Ben to put the money into the bees. They are the ones that generate the money. Also good to build bigger than you think you need. Imagine the most bees you'll ever want to run, then double that number, then double it again and you might start getting close to the bare minumum size of building you'll need.

Jean-Marc

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Little View Post
    I have not started building, I put my money into bees until I can build the right type of facility I want and need. I like to do things right the first time and it seems that every time I speak to a beekeeper with a honey house they say the same thing "you can never build it big enough" so I will be going bigger than my original plans.
    Also consider going vertical (at least 16' sidewalls) and making doorways large enough for forklifts which can be purchased used quite reasonably. Much better bang for the buck than stretching out horizontally.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

I've got a pole building that is a lean to style. Measures 16x36. 16 at the short and 20 at the peak. It also includes a 10x10 attachment at the rear.

Was thinking about using it for beekeeping related things. If you guys had a building this size what would you do with it?

Section off one side to house the overwinter bees in there.
    Don't mix foreign bees into a virgin hive. She might get balled 100% of the time! When will you ever learn, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Little View Post
    Don't forget additions allow planning over years. My place isn't big enough, but my plans to build an addition will solve all my problems. I just gotta spend more money lol

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Don't forget additions allow planning over years. My place isn't big enough, but my plans to build an addition will solve all my problems. I just gotta spend more money lol
    Hopefully this year will be a turning point in our operation and we will see some good revenue we had a great pollination season and praying for a good honey flow this year. Maybe Farm Credit Canada will like us more after this fiscal year, that way we can borrow enough to do the job right
    Nova Scotia Canada

Ben, out of curiosity, how have you solved the shop related bottlenecks over the last several years while you grow? Are you using someone else's shop to extract? equipment storage?

Yes we are still using borrowed space for most of our extraction and storage.
    Nova Scotia Canada

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789