Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Honey House

Default Re: Honey House

Call Maxant and order direct from them. We have used Beemaid in the past with very poor results. They have messed up every order for equipment. Our orders direct to them went very well. Give them a call.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Little View Post
    Well I am going to order my Bottling Tank from Beemaid , They have the 600-3 Maxant with the NDV . for around 1380 ish + tax , it was only a little more money for the 300 LB vs 200 .
    It should serve me well for a long time according to many reviews
    Is a clarifier a good idea for me right now ? I would need a pump as well right ?
    The other thing I would love to know is how easy is it to keep the temp low on the bottling tank ? like the same temp as the inside of a hive .

Thanks
    Ben L

We are in the process of building a new honey house. It is 48 x 64 with in floor heat. The walls are structural engineered panels with an R34 rating. The building will have a main extracting room, a hot room, a storage area, a small office area, bathroom with showers and clothes washing facilities. Floor should be done this week and the building goes up in late August. It would have been nice to have this year but we are in "next year" country.

I was told I would need a broker or something for shipping across the border , and pay a duty ? I don't have a broker and I thought it would cost just as much to have it shipped from Beemaid.

Maybe if I could figure out how to get things shipped from the USA it would be easier , but I am not good with cross border purchasing . The price I was told was 1390.00 with the No drip valve. That is 90 dollars more than what Maxant is advertising it for . Unless Beemaid screwed up the price , I guess that is possible. I have had orders screwed up before from them .
    I will call them again tomorrow and have them send me a written quote on the tank , so I don't get charged another 500 bucks or something like that upon completing the order and have a phone call saying "oh the price you were told is wrong, oops" LOL

If I could easily buy direct from Maxant, I would in a heartbeat. Somebody might be able to shed light on this maybe.??

Ben
    Ben Little <The Little Bee Farm> https://www.facebook.com/TheLittleBeeFarm
    Nova Scotia Canada

Get your enhanced drivers license and come get it. They are not far from the Canadian border. Maybe 45 minutes.

When I bought my 600-3 Jake told me the no drip valve is not standard gear for the unit, rather an optional piece of equipment so you maybe seeing the $90.00 additional due to the no drip valve being I think they cost over $100.00 on their own.

Also you might want to consider their pail perch. It also doubles as a drum perch to drain the last little bit out!

For some reason Beemaid doesn't carry the pail perch . I did want one , but I guess I am SOL right now , maybe they will get them next time I order. I don't think Nova Scotia has the Enhanced Drivers Licenses yet.
    I don't have a passport either : )

Ben
    Nova Scotia Canada

We sell direct, however for Canadian customers, they find it sometimes easier to buy through dealers in Canada due to brokerage/customs fees.
    Smaller items can be shipped via USPS easily. Its the larger machines that need to go via freight which means the customers must have a customs agent
    to get the machine across the border!
    www.maxantindustries.com
    American made Honey Processing Equipment "Built to last a lifetime"

You don't need a "Enhanced Drivers Licence" Just a 1/2 ton truck and a Passport. Have your items shipped to Houlton Maine - Houlton Power Sports is set up to collect shipments for Canadians. Companies like Mann Lake ship free to the USA - again just have it shipped to Houlton ME. and you can go and pick it up. Coming back across the border is no problem; if the product is made in the USA such as Maxant there is no duty only HST - remember we are part of the North America Free Trade Agreement. Houlton is 1 hour drive from Fredericton, New Brunswick. Not sure how far you are from Fredericton, just check it out on Google Map. It may be worth the trip and buy direct from such places like Maxant. If you need help just ask me; not a problem.
    Last edited by Honey In The Meadow; 08-10-2013 at 04:34 PM.

I am about 355 Km from Dieppe NB , I was never in Fredericton , I go to Dieppe 2 times a year for mechanic update courses , that is as far away I have ever been.
    Nova Scotia Canada

My new honey house is only a few hundred square feet in area, I just built it recently by the way, and am in the process of furnishing it. It is about 100 feet or so behind my house, a long way from my sanitary sewer line, so what are the options for disposing of the waste water from the sinks. I didn't put in a floor drain for such a small building and there are no toilet facilities either, so basically I just have water to dispose of with a little soap in it from time to time, and not much water at that. I have not contacted my building department about their codes and such yet, so it will depend on what they say, but in the meantime I was just wondering what others have done or ended up doing about drain water in a small building such as this?

I forgot to mention that the whole structure is wood, the floor system is all treated wood and I do have access to underneath the floor in some areas, so I can still put in the drains when and where I need them.

even if you have a drain heading out into the grass, you will use it everytime. Otherwise your going to be mopping everything up
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

I didn't mean I was going to let the water from the sinks just run on the floor, is that what you thought? No, I understand I have to dump it somewhere, but what I want to avoid is having to run a long distance pipe underground to tie into my sanitary, or having to put in a septic field or something idiotic like that for such a small operation. I was thinking maybe they'll let me just run the drain underground into a dry well or something like that for the little water I am going to generate. I plan to only use this honey house maybe a total of a couple weeks or so worth of days every season.

If you're not asking them you could just bury a honey barrel, shoot it full of holes and run into that... Up to you though, I think if you ask them they'd want a concrete holding tank at the least and a legitimate septic with weeping bed at the worst, that's way overkill for what you need though

Quote Originally Posted by jmgi View Post
    I didn't put in a floor drain for such a small building and there are no toilet facilities either, so basically I just have water to dispose of with a little soap in it from time to time, and not much water at that. . . . . I didn't mean I was going to let the water from the sinks just run on the floor, is that what you thought?I
    im talking bout your floor drain. . . that you dont have
    www.stepplerfarms.com

I chose not to put one in because of the fact that the structure of my floor is treated wood (which will have vinyl tile or linoleum over it) and you can't put pitch on that kind of floor over to the drain anyways. The rules say that I don't have to put in a floor drain if I don't want to also.

You could always push water towards a drain.
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

Yes, I could do that, at least if I had a real mess to clean up there would be somewhere for it to go.

Honey house floor almost always get sticky and one wants to wash them, so you will be using water on your floor. Some folks use a Shop Vac while others use floor drains. Mop and bucket works also.
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Little View Post
    I am about 355 Km from Dieppe NB , I was never in Fredericton , I go to Dieppe 2 times a year for mechanic update courses , that is as far away I have ever been.
    From Dieppe to Houlton, Maine it is about 3 hour drive. P.S. I love your Facebook page......... keep up the good work

Quote Originally Posted by jmgi View Post
    I chose not to put one in because of the fact that the structure of my floor is treated wood (which will have vinyl tile or linoleum over it) and you can't put pitch on that kind of floor over to the drain anyways. The rules say that I don't have to put in a floor drain if I don't want to also.
    Ya, you will need a good mop and bucket then. The regulations up here, to be compliant with CFIA, suggest to install proper floor drainage.
    In my old facility I put in one drain made out of an 1 1/2 water pipe. It drains out into the grass beside the facility. I wish I put in a 2 or 3 inch floor drain pipe as it is continually getting clogged with wax from my wash. My hand wash station drains out into the grass beside the facility also.

The floor in my new facility is focused around my floor drainage system,
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast