Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Honey House

Default Re: Honey House

My space is 14'10"X16'6". That's one reason I thought the 30 Frame Maxant extractors would be best. No, I don't really see me getting any larger.

Maxant doesn't build a bigger extractor, do they? I'd consider a 45 framer. Seems like the next size up would be a Dadant 60 frame extractor?

What is the Elgin you mentioned?
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

The Elgin filler was a reply to Ben Little. It fills around 1000-2000 jars an hour. 3

Sqkcrk - that is a pretty small space. You have nothing bigger?

Crazy Roland

Actually my building has exterior dimensions of 32'X48', broken up by interior walls making three "bays" whose floor space is approx. 14'10"X 31'. THe two outside bays have overhead door and the center bay have a conventional door entrance.

I originally had it built to get the honey packing out of the house and to be able to park my van inside while loading it. So, one outside bay is where buckets of honey, jars, and lids are stored and the middle bay is where honey will be packed and labeled. The third bay is a work area where I have stored nuc boxes and preped them for Spring use. That's where I am considering setting up extracting.

I know it's small. I used to do all my extracting in a 12'X36' trailer when I had 800 colonies. I had to get empty supers out of the trailer almost immediately after extracting them.

I am considering a garage type building to gather pallets of honey in and as a Hot Room. I would then handcart supers into the building.

The 16' dimension could be longer, but it would be under the overhead door tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Little View Post
    Thanks everyone , it is all good advice . I think I will just get the bottling tank this year and wait until I can afford the larger one .
    What size bottling tank is the better one to go with ? I was just going to get the 600-2 Maxant.

Ben
    I know, I know Im a few days late and a few dollars short.

So I put alot of thought into that and just bought their 600-3 as it holds 25 gallons vice 16. That should be plenty for us for years to come.

Sqcrk you might think about two small over head doors for the center room so you can move big things straight Through.
    David

Thanks, that's already in the works.

I have a large over head door going into my facility between the hot room and the extraction room. I plan on having the temp over 30 degreesC in the hot room and about 20 degrees or so in the extraction room. Any ideas on how to keep two rooms closed off to each other so that each room stay at its temp without having to open and close this over head door a thousand times per day?
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Can you install a sliding door instead? I have friends w/ sliding door and there isn't a great deal of heat transfer. But, if the rooms are next to each other the extracting room will be hot. In which case fans and sweatbands are necassary.

I have been wondering about the use of Plastic Strip Doorways like ones I see at the back doors of many grocery stores and between cooler rooms and work areas in the Produce rooms. They seem to keep flying insects out pretty well. I'm thinking about using that between my extracting room and the rest of the building, plus the overhead door.

The overhead plastic strips work well but keep in mind the clear plastic gets dirty super easy.

I think you'll have a challenge keeping the extraction room cool no matter what you do... Too many electric motors running with extractor/conveyor/augur/spinner/uncapper/water heater etc all running constantly... Combine that with the outside temps being over 20 and I think the only way you could do it would be a big AC unit

Get a big exhaust fan, a barn fan, set in a wall of your extracting room and a window on the cool side of the bldg, the north side?

Anyone know what the CFIA regs on doing something like that are? They seem to be a bit of a moving target at times

Running cooling fans in your honey extracting room? Regulations on that?

You'd be amazed haha... Wondered whether they might want some kind of filter on there

ya, AC is planned for the extraction room,
    plastic strips are an idea
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Quote Originally Posted by Markt View Post
    Anyone know what the CFIA regs on doing something like that are? They seem to be a bit of a moving target at times
    Far as Im concerned my ventilation fans are easy to clean so they are good to go. An air exchange is needed in the extraction room to remove moisture during washing. I dont know about filters, doubt that very much. If thats the case, then they can stick their regs you know where
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    then they can stick their regs you know where
    I hear ya haha

Don't dig into the CFIA Regs too far. Forgiveness is easier to get than permission. Do Canadian Honey Houses get inspected? Regularly?

Well I am going to order my Bottling Tank from Beemaid , They have the 600-3 Maxant with the NDV . for around 1380 ish + tax , it was only a little more money for the 300 LB vs 200 .
    It should serve me well for a long time according to many reviews
    Is a clarifier a good idea for me right now ? I would need a pump as well right ?
    The other thing I would love to know is how easy is it to keep the temp low on the bottling tank ? like the same temp as the inside of a hive .

Thanks
    Ben L
    Ben Little <The Little Bee Farm> https://www.facebook.com/TheLittleBeeFarm
    Nova Scotia Canada

Easy enough. Its water jacketed with heating element in it. Just dont try pouring 5 drums in 1 day.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast