Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Honey House

Default Re: Honey House

Ian - I am gravitating toward a "Device of my own construction" (quote from Doc brown in Back to the Future). Unfortunately, Inspector Callahan would say "a man has got to know his limitations", and I may exceed mine.

Crazy Roland

Hopefully it won't take as many "jigawatts" as our new heat exchanger does.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Well the statistics for average honey crop from each hive is around 40 lbs . but I am getting around 3-4 mediums off of my hives this year .

A 40 X 40 building sounds big enough for the size I will be at in the next year or so , I just have no idea if it is better to go bigger to start or not ??

Thanks everyone

Ben L
    Ben Little <The Little Bee Farm> https://www.facebook.com/TheLittleBeeFarm
    Nova Scotia Canada

So if I plan to extract a minimum of 800 - 1000 supers , what kind of extraction line would be the better choice ? right from uncapping to bottling .

Thanks

Ben
    Nova Scotia Canada

Have you looked into the Cowen systems?
    www.cowenmfg.com
    www.maxantindustries.com
    American made Honey Processing Equipment "Built to last a lifetime"

yes I looked , I already have a maxant 1400P extractor and really don't know if I could incorporate it into their extraction line or not ? I guess I could still use the Maxant extractor and the cowen line ? It's just confusing trying to decide by myself. My family has no background in farming , other than my Father in-law , he kept sheep . kind of different than keeping bees : )
    The Barn he has constructed is like one of the commercial Beekeepers honey house in nova scotia , it is a pole barn type building , I know that building has been there for many years and it is solid as can be. I never heard of the type of construction , but then again I don't build buildings : )
    So I guess that is my type of building I will go with .

I wish I knew what the right choices were .

Does anyone else have issues deciding what the right thing is to do in this type of business ? LOL
    Nova Scotia Canada

Sure, all the time. I have been w/out a honey house for 16 years. I get my honey extracted somewhere else. Now I have a building and am looking into setting up an extracting plant in it.
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

My issue with the big Cowen unit is that it takes up alot of real estate, because you must store the Que between runs. Otherwise, i have heard good feedback.

Crazy Roland

What type of bottling system do you all use ?
    Nova Scotia Canada

2 Twentyfive gallon (300 lb) Maxant Bottling Tanks

Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    My issue with the big Cowen unit is that it takes up alot of real estate, because you must store the Que between runs. Otherwise, i have heard good feedback.

Crazy Roland
    Quite true Roland. Holding the Que in some sort of segmented rotating rack similar to the extractor itself is probably doable but would also add considerably to the cost and complexity. Floor space may be cheaper. We just replace an old 128 C&B with a new 120 Cowen. The capacities are quite similar, around a ton an hour. The larger reel of the C&B turns at about 210 rpm's the more compact Cowen compensates by spinning around 275 rpm's. If your honey is testing in the 16's or lower an 8 minute run time is required to do a decent job. Load/unload times with our old C&B was about 1 1/2 minutes. The more automated Cowen takes about 2 minutes. Overall this concept is just really labor efficient but good results can only be obtained with good standardized frames. Don't expect good results with them unless you have good extracting comb or are willing to commit to upgrading them, which may mean a rocky first couple of years of operation.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

What should someone w/ about 500 colonies consider in the way of an extracting setup? Is there a ratio between colony numbers and Budget to dedicate towards extracting equipment? CWhat do you suppose it would cost to set up an extracting plant for a 500 colony outfit from MAXANT, Dadant, Mann Lake, Cowen, or Kelley Co.?

What are all the parts necassary? I think I know what the minimum parts are, but maybe someone w/ a honey house could answer.

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    What should someone w/ about 500 colonies consider in the way of an extracting setup? Is there a ratio between colony numbers and Budget to dedicate towards extracting equipment?.
    Here is a cowen from there page

60 FRAME EXTRACTOR W/ AIR ASSIST $20,065
    COWEN UNCAPPER $7,650
    DEBOXER $3,795
    HOT WATER SUPPLY $1,150
    CAPPINGS AUGER $3,559
    COWEN CAPPINGS SPINNER $8,600
    HEATED IN FLOOR SUMP $2,800
    2" GEAR PUMP $3,750
    OVERHEAD EMPTY BOX RETURN

TOTAL $53,619

http://www.cowenmfg.com/pages.asp?pageid=106002

They have many more set ups
    All I looked at where more $$$$ than the above

I'm running a little over 500 right now and am using the 60 cowen with air ram as described above but I bought it refurbished straight from cowen 2 years old... Think it came to 27k ish plus shipping and works just like a new one, might be worth looking into. Never seen the C&B equivalent but I like the way that all the bearings/motors etc look like something I can grab at princess auto or equivalent in 2 hours instead of waiting on custom parts from the factory. I should mention that didn't include a spinner or heated sump

I think it looks like a brand new extracting system, minus storage tanks, from MAXANT would run about $19,000.00 plus shipping.

2-30 Frame Extractors @ $4,500.00 each = $9,000.00
    Uncapper/Wax Spinner $6,490.00
    60" Gravity Clarifier $1,695.00
    Model 400-1" Honey Pump $775.00
    Model 200-4 Filter System $1,250.00
    Total $19,010.00

Those extractors are radial correct?

Yes

One thing about the cowen I like is that you really don't end up with much honey on the floor because you're not carrying frames from an uncapper to the extractor with the horizontal style load. I don't know if it's all that much faster but that's one definite plus not having a sticky floor in my book

I sure like the Cowen 60 frame. Just the hand crank on mine. bought it new a few years back, and i am extremly happy with the uncapper. My old Jumbo use to eat combs like crazy, this new one sends them through. I have a kid on the uncapper and he does not even have to watch.

I heard the C&B uncapper is much better at cutting wax, no pushed wax. The Cowen will leave some as the knives to reach into the frames, so a scratcher is needed after the uncapper to tidy up each frame before the extractor. I usually have a 4 man staff to put through 350 boxes or 15 barrels of honey per day.

My bottle neck is the spinner, Im investing into a C&B spin float next year as I move into my new facility
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

SQKCRK- I think you choice of 30 frame extractors is way small. Do you ever plan on getting bigger? I am in the process of building two 90 frame radials. Do some math on the cycle times. Pick an extractor that you can load and unload in the same time it takes you to uncap that many frames.

As for filling, I prefer 2 or 4 piston Elgins, depends on the run size.

Crazy Roland

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast