Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Honey House

Default Re: Honey House

I have my business registered and a tax number , also I registered the farm with Dept of Ag.
    I have seen some of the Kabotas around for sale ( R510 ), but those are way too heavy . I keep looking almost everyday .
    Ben Little <The Little Bee Farm> https://www.facebook.com/TheLittleBeeFarm
    Nova Scotia Canada

How many 2 x 6 's did you use ? 3 ? I was going to use 6 x 6 posts , but I was thinking it would be easier to use the 2 x 6 because of notching them for the braces , which I have seen done on some of the pole barns.
    I would also think it would be a little stronger , but I am not a carpenter .
    Nova Scotia Canada

We have the same setup. Cement is done. Are you using an epoxy on the cement to protect it from the honey? We are using this for the walls. http://emsips.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Here is what I got, for anyone interested

http://s1277.photobucket.com/user/Ia...tml?sort=3&o=0

The cement is going to be poured on Monday, so you can see the unit clearly as it would sit under the floor.
    It is hitched up to a water system so that I can flush the gutter out at anytime by turning on the water valve. The gutter drains into a sump which has a wax screen to catch all the wax before it enters the septic system which is plumbed in with the appropriate check valves. Its a SS unit so corrosion is not an issue. The price of this system is basically no more than if I had priced the guys to form in a cement gutter system

Will you need a Building Permit and engineered drawings to get that. Insurance and further permits such as electrical can be problems if you don't have a Building Permit.

Laminated 2x6 post with treated wood used on the below ground end work well. It is also my understanding that you get much better preservative with PWF wood for the treated wood. Something like 60 year warranty as opposed to 40 years for 6 x 6.

With 2 x 6 post, one can run horizontal 2 x 6 to hold insulation and provide support for vertical interior metal finish.
    If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got!

We went with 4x6 treated posts spaced 4ft center mounted on a 3x8 treated post (mudsill) we laid down in a 4ft trench (below frost lvl). If you go 4ft center with your posts you can bolt/attach your roof trusses to each of the posts. Not an engineer but we were advised that to go above 12ft interior ceiling height in a pole barn you need 4x6 posts not 2 2x6 joined.

Look at the lumber place in Brookfield, think its Morrow-Wood that's where we got all our posts. Also try at your local Dept. Agriculture, they would have lots of approved schematics/blueprints for barn structures.

Just to advise, my machine shed is 50 x 80 and 20 ft walls. Posts are 8 ft centers and are 4 plys of 2 x 6. Portion of 2 x 6 below grade is PWF material which has more treatment than a 6 x 6. If fmy memory is correct, the PWF posts are supposed to have a 60 year life.

Need to check local building code and go to a local farm supply store that sells pole buildings and can do a design.
    If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got!

Quote Originally Posted by dgl1948 View Post
    We have the same setup. Cement is done. Are you using an epoxy on the cement to protect it from the honey? We are using this for the walls. http://emsips.com/
    I was wondering about a floor treatment. I dont know what to do. The cement was mixed with a higher hardness, 32 MPA , to help resist the corrosive nature of the honey on the floor. epoxy is expensive, are you using it?
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Little View Post
    How many 2 x 6 's did you use ? 3 ? I was going to use 6 x 6 posts , but I was thinking it would be easier to use the 2 x 6 because of notching them for the braces , which I have seen done on some of the pole barns.
    I would also think it would be a little stronger , but I am not a carpenter .
    yes, the posts are three 2*6 glued and nailed together, with the appropriate lengths of treated lumber below grade. notching them is very convenient .
    www.stepplerfarms.com

We are going to use epoxy. The contractor that did the cement quoted $4500.00 for a floor on our 48 x 64 foot floor. We have been told that honey is one of the hardest things on a cement floor. Our thinking is that floor a floor costing this much the epoxy is good insurance.

I was wondering about a floor treatment. I dont know what to do. The cement was mixed with a higher hardness, 32 MPA , to help resist the corrosive nature of the honey on the floor. epoxy is expensive, are you using it?

I hear you loud and clear on that one.
    how is it applied?
    www.stepplerfarms.com

High $$ floor epoxie is self leveling. Pour and squeegee it out with a special squeegee back roll with a spike roller to remove air bubbles. As I remember about 6 mm thick dry. About $ 1.25 a foot to put down as I remember

We have been using epoxy floors since the 60's. Be careful, you get what you pay for. The best was advertised as "monolithic". I believe there where ground up chunks of epoxy that made the aggregate they mixed with the liquid.

Crazy Roland

I brew my own Beer in my Honey House,
    We call it the Hoppy Barn!

Our slogan on the door says "Bee Hoppy, or Leave!"
    "Some of it's Magic, and Some if it's Tragic!" Jimmy Buffet

4500 is a good price for the floor size you have !! concrete is more expensive here.
    Nova Scotia Canada

That was just for the epoxy. Add a another zero for the concrete floor.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Little View Post
    4500 is a good price for the floor size you have !! concrete is more expensive here.

I have not asked how it was applied. They do an acid wash and then the epoxy. I would think withy a roller but???

I hear you loud and clear on that one.
    how is it applied?

Quote Originally Posted by dgl1948 View Post
    That was just for the epoxy. Add a another zero for the concrete floor.
    That sounds more like it LOL
    Nova Scotia Canada

You can do the Epoxy floor paint yourself no problem, in my barn/honey house I have 1620 SF that I applied two coats in one day. It is two parts, I used a Sherwin Williams product that you mix and wait 15 minutes to heat up, then roll on in a thick sticky coat. Great product I've had down for three years, drove my tractors, JD Gator, trucks, hives, foot traffic and still looks new. My cost was US $.56/SF. I recommend two people because once it starts to kick it goes quick, slower in your climate but two folks will be much more efficient. Nothing sticks to it. Honey washes off with warm water, and oil beads up just asking to be swept up with a paper towel.
    Good luck.
    "Some of it's Magic, and Some if it's Tragic!" Jimmy Buffet

Anyone use linseed oil to treat their floor ?

I've used it on trailer decks before with good effect... Or do you mean on a concrete floor?

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast