Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Honey House

Default Re: Honey House

[QUOTE=Ian;973545]dont you guys find sun light motivating?

Honestly i find extracting rooms in general to be very unmotivating.

I find sunlight makes me motivated to do outside jobs... You'd be amazed how late into the night you can extract without noticing it when you're not watching it get dark out. Does make it seem a bit like factory work though...

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    dont you guys find sun light motivating? I agree , window cleaning is a pain, but I would rather clean windows once a day than work in a shed without natural light
    I would agree. My point was just a reminder that window placement should be well thought out keeping in mind that they attract lots of bees and some flies and need cleaned regularly.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Ben - my point was that the area of wax/honey separation needs improvement. I have worked with an early Cook and Beales, and was not overly impressed. It functioned, but was noisy. I have also worked with a Fager wax press. It was quiet, but not so efficient. I view it as an area for research. A "black box" that is quiet, cheap to run, and delivers clean unburnt honey, liquid wax, and dirt. But hey, when your crazy, it is easy to dream....

Crazy Roland

I am just getting to know my new C&B seperator. So far I am fairly pleased. It is fairly quiet and is claimed to have only about 1% honey loss. That seems about right from my first impression. The kicker on a system like this, though, is a heat exchanger is needed to boost the inflowing honey temp to 100 to 105 degrees. Honey exiting the spinner is clean and clear. The "kicker" is with the heat exchanger, heater and extra pump required it gets to be a pretty expensive setup with fairly high operating costs.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

i agree with Jim .We had a sump and mixer to capture the mixed honey and cappings, then a Moyno pump, heat exchanger, and then C+B spinner. The pump and mixer where the source of most problems, float switch would stick, pump would jam with a broken frame, etc.

For grins, take a known weight of spun cappings, and soak in a known wieght of water. Measure the specific gravity of the water and double check your one percent. We went away from the C+B because it was overwhelming the septic system.

Crazy Roland

what did you gravitate towards Roland
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Okay , not to get off track here , but I want to design the honey house so I can make use of as much space as possible. If I were to expand my operation later on , that is fine , but I am trying to make do with a certain number of hives 100-200 until I can handle more with my lovely assistant Amanda : ) . I am working a regular 8-5 job mon-fri and I can only do so much work after I get home and on weekends . My regular job is hard enough right now I am worn out at the end of the day , but I love working with Bees so much , I think I could do it full time if possible.

So I don't mind putting good money into the operation and having a nice place to extract and process the honey and hive products properly. I just don't have 200,000. dollars to soak into it : ) maybe half of that at my borrowing ability right now.

I have a piece of land behind my house where I can put a large building , so that is not a big deal finding a place to put it.

So here is what I would like to know. What do you all recommend for a cappings spinner or a way to get the honey out of the wax cappings?
    Uncapping tank ? or just uncap right into the spinner ?

All I have right now is a Maxant 1400p 20 frame extractor and I need some help figuring out what is needed to process honey for an operation my size for now , with the ability to expand the extraction line without having to buy all new machines and wasting my money buying smaller equipment to start with now. Is this even possible to do ?

Kind of a hard question I know , but I believe in buying things right the first time if possible.

Thanks for putting up with all my stupid questions

Ben
    Ben Little <The Little Bee Farm> https://www.facebook.com/TheLittleBeeFarm
    Nova Scotia Canada

build a good smaller faciltiy now, with a blue print for further expansion in the future. Get your needs covered now, and make a wish list for future expansion,
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Thumbs Up Re: Honey House

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Little View Post
    Are you talking about a cappings spinner ROLAND ? I was looking at the Maxant Junior for now .
    I like the maxant brand , they seem to be great quality.

Or do you recommend a different brand ?

Ben
    Ben, Maxant is a good brand. I just wouldn't waste your time and money on they're jr spinner. If you are going to be in the business you might as well buy the sr. spinner. I own 2 myself and have been running them for over 20 years.
    I built a new honey house last year and the only equipment that I moved from the old one was the maxant spinners, and my maxant bottling tanks.
    Last edited by The Honey Householder; 07-20-2013 at 11:19 AM.

Thanks everyone , it is all good advice . I think I will just get the bottling tank this year and wait until I can afford the larger one .
    What size bottling tank is the better one to go with ? I was just going to get the 600-2 Maxant.

Ben
    Nova Scotia Canada

If your on a budget find yourself some old stainless Milk tanks from a retiring or upsizing dairy farmer and pump hot water through the freon lines if you need the honey heated... Out of curiousity how many hives are you gonna run out of this building in the next say two or three years?

around 200 hives until I get enough money to buy more equipment from sales/rentals.
    Nova Scotia Canada

Ok and do you have access to any other buildings to use for equipment storage? (Barns etc)

yes I have a couple buildings for storage. they aren't pest free buildings though , I am worried about emptied honey supers after extraction.
    Nova Scotia Canada

Turn the heat off in the building when you store your supers and set out mouse or rat bait. Seems like that would do it in Nova Scotia. I stack 60 shallow supers on a wearhouse pallet wrap the top w/ a blue plastic tarp and leave them outside for the winter. Sometimes mice build homes in them.
    Mark Berninghausen
    The answers are the end. The questions are the journey. Journey on.

Yeah you'll definitely want to take advantage of those for storage of equipment... Well if you go 40'x40' with 12' ceilings that'd be lots of room at your current size and you can always add on lengthways later... Mine's 40'x104' but I'm still not sure if 50' wide would have been better as far as maneuvering forklifts etc with stuff along the walls and on the floor. It's wide enough as long as stuff gets put away but I certainly wouldn't go less than 40' wide or I'd say you'll be building again from scratch someday if you get bigger... What are the honey averages like in your area? Would I be correct in assuming a large part of your yearly revenue will be from blueberry pollination?

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    Sometimes mice build homes in them.
    I put a metal queen excluder on the bottom and top of my stacks to keep the mice out.
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

Me too. Buggers still get in. Old equipment.
    Mark Berninghausen
    The answers are the end. The questions are the journey. Journey on.

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    Buggers still get in.
    Much like bears, not much will stop a determined mouse.
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast