Default Putting on Bulk Pollen Sub in cold weather ( specifically Nutra bee )

I have not traditionally put wet patties on in the winter time. I bought extra this fall and saved some to go on now. I know a lot of guys put on sub in Dec-Jan . I'm curious if there is much risk for freezing them out. In the morning i'm in the 40's , Mid day anywhere from the 50's to the 60's . Not real cold I guess your thinking but for me the 40's are freezing. Over night we're in the high 20's to 30's. Jarrett or anyone else are you out there?

Default Re: Putting on Bulk Pollen Sub in cold weather ( specifically Nutra bee )

Last year we put sub on(Not NutroB) when it snowed in December. Think we put 5 pounders. Cracking boxes wasnt an issue because clusters were very large. Never noticed anything negative.

The benefits of putting sub on is greater than the damage you could do.

Default Re: Putting on Bulk Pollen Sub in cold weather ( specifically Nutra bee )

Thats what I was inclined to think too Rak, thanks.

BB, we are putting on patties as we type, cold here, still snow on the ground from Fridays storm. Just start about 10:00am-4:00pm and be sure to smoke bees out of the way before placing patties. Good Luck, Keith
    NUTRA-BEE feed supplements

Thank you sir, will do. Bees look great so far. Getting my numbers and adding sub , will let you know the outcome.

P.S. keep sub in a warm place over night, it will be much easyer to handle on these cold days.

When it is cold like this do you put it on top or between the boxes?

What kind of sub do you use RAK? If I may ask.

Quote Originally Posted by rainesridgefarm View Post
    between the boxes?
    Between.

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s...y/100_2157.jpg
    Last edited by Keith Jarrett; 12-11-2013 at 01:07 PM. Reason: adding pics

Quote Originally Posted by babybee View Post
    What kind of sub do you use RAK? If I may ask.
    We mix our own.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Jarrett View Post
    P.S. keep sub in a warm place over night, it will be much easyer to handle on these cold days.

yeah i've noticed that. Have just been adding a little more elbow grease to mash them down.

We just put four pounds of sub on all our colonies in Florida. There was a serious lack of pollen in the colonies as we put sub on this time. In addition, each colony received 2 gallons of HFCS and an Apivar treatment. As I told my partner, its now in God's hands.

Quote Originally Posted by matt1954 View Post
    God's hands.
    Na... the bees are in your hands..... and the way I see it the bees are in good hands. good job.

Why do you put the sub on now? This is the time when they have the least brood right? I've been doing this in February but is that too late?

Thanks.

Hokie, the bees are down in Florida and we want them to brood up for pollination. We will be sending colonies out west next month. Then some will go into the Orange Groves. So we need brood production. As you probably know, the pollen helps to stimulate the brood production. In my opinion, a combination of Pollen/HFCS is a great way to boost a colony especially when there is little to no pollen out there.

Matt, straight sucrose would stimulate alot better.

Matt can you share your experience with using pollen sub in Florida?
    Do you use any different methods or ingredient to avoid SHB?
    What results convinced you to use it here?

It seems that using Sub here isn't as wide spread as other areas in the country. The standard suggestion is small amount more frequently. I'm more interested in ways to feed larger amounts less frequently without a SHB explosion .

Keith, I see no inside feeders in any of your pics, so do you use buckets or a top feeder or open an open feeding method?

Also have question for guys that use lots of sub. Do u guys use more medication if any or what kinds . appreciate any good advice

BB, yeah,most have inside but some we top feed, AZB, no more meds than anybody else, but the timing of treatments is huge.