Default hanging out on landing board

It's right about sun down (still very light out though) and I noticed my bees are just milling around on the landing board. A couple are fanning but most are just milling about walking slowly around not coming or going. Whats the deal? It doesn't strike me as too concerning but I'm really curious why they do the things they do. It hasn't been hot or anything only about 75 today so it doesn't seem like heat would be an issue.
    1TgQcAG.jpg

Default Re: hanging out on landing board

No worries, cnt, my bees do this all the time. I'm not sure what exactly is happening, but I don't see any reason to worry much about it. If the hive is strong, then no worries. I guess I just always assumed they were guard bees. Peace.
    "Life will find a way - it always finds a way." -Jurassic Park (MOVIE/BOOK)
    USDA Zone 5a

yeah. I'm not so much worried as confused. two or three in there are fanning the rest are just looking lazy. seems to me everything they do ought to have a purpose. I read that guard bees stand on their back four legs and stick up their heads and front legs, which these guys aren't doing. They seem super mellow.

> most are just milling about walking slowly around not coming or going.

They may be "washboarding":
    Why are they dancing at the entrance in unison?

A few times a year some new beekeeper wants to know what the bees are doing line dancing (rhythmically swaying) on the landing board. This is called "washboarding" and actually no one knows why they do it, but they do. Personally I think it's a social dance. Perhaps even a thanksgiving dance.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesfaqs.htm

MB describes the bees as "swaying", but my bees move forward, then backward.
    ultracrepidarian >> noting or pertaining to a person who criticizes, judges, or gives advice outside of his expertise

Your picture shows a very few bees on the "porch".
    Mine are doing it in numbers this time of year. Temp's contribute to the hive environment
    but depending on the amount of honey in the hive, humidity is a bigger problem.
    Reducing the nectar down to honey releases a lot of moisture. I prop their lids up a bit
    to help release the moisture and it helps a bunch.

Sometimes they just like to hang out.
    Guess they don't wanna work all the time.

Check out this bearding or washboarding or whatever you call it. IMG_20130629_192606_575.jpg

I took a week ago in my hive.

edit: Overwintered and split hive. They had swarm cells (or supercedure but hopefully swarm) two weeks before this image.

Mine have been doing it every evening as the sun is setting. Not too worried about it as it has been in the 90's here.

mine were still doing it at 11:30 pm

Mine are out all night. I am trying to figure out how I am going to move the hive with them out all night, wait for a rainstorm I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by biggraham610 View Post
    Mine are out all night. I am trying to figure out how I am going to move the hive with them out all night, wait for a rainstorm I guess.
    If it's a small beard, smoke 'em in.

If it's too big for that, but small enough that it is not likely to fall off, just slip the dolly under it and roll it to the truck or trailer, beard and all.

If you don't have a top entrance or vent, adding one may well eliminate the bearding.
    It's been in the high 80'-low 90's and I don't have bearding on densely populated hives that have both upper and lower entrances...unless you count the crowding around the upper entrance..

Or brush 'em into a dustpan and drop them in the top.