Default Cut Out Estimate Help

Hello,

I just had a request to do a cutout and was wondering what a fair price would be. Previously we had done a couple cut-outs for free, but its too hot out to do this for free anymore. Besides this cutout is 2 stories off of the ground.

I think that it will be an easy disassembly and repair. Judging by the pictures i think I can just pry off the boards above the porch roof and then just reattach them. The main issue is the hieght. So I am going to haul out two levels of scaffolding. If the bees are close to the crack in the boards it shouldn't be too bad....but if the hive is large and back in very hard it could be challenging. He said they have been there for at least 5 months....so maybe that means since last year.

The main thing going for me is that the owner said there is a pregnant woman living in the house so they don't want any chemicals used. I told him I could come out in a couple days and given him an estimate. I was thinking between $200-300. When we initially spoke he said he had no problem paying a reasonable amount. Reasonable varies so much from person to person though. I have some free time so I would really like to do this, I don't want to scare the customer away. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

Default Re: Cut Out Estimate Help

bees.jpg

cutout.jpg

The bees are just above the porch

I charge $50/hour to do cutouts.

Charge an hourly rate with a 2 or 3 hour minimum. Here in SF it ranges from $75 to $100 an hour.

You're cheap Ben
    President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
    www.habitatforhoneybees.org

Is this for 1 or 2 people? I was going to do this with my buddy. The past couple cutouts have been a lot easier with an extra set of hands.

....it looks like I will have to up my price. This will be my first time charging so I was not sure where to start. Thanks

This price is for the job to be done regardless of how many people you have working. I usually bring an apprentice.
    President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
    www.habitatforhoneybees.org

Nuts to come through the roof if you can get to them from underneath going through the porch soffit???

Don

50 an hour 150 just to come the 150 covers first 3 hours it takes an hour still 150 if it takes 4 hours 200 5 hours 250 and so on

I did no think of that! That is a much better idea. Wouldn't have to deal with being so high up then. I'll have to go check it out. Do you charge for going out and doing an estimate or just work that into the final cost?

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbantam View Post
    I did no think of that! That is a much better idea. Wouldn't have to deal with being so high up then. I'll have to go check it out. Do you charge for going out and doing an estimate or just work that into the final cost?
    I give free estimates and give hard quotes. No surprises means happy customers in the end. I lose a few sales up front but the customer knows exactly what it going to cost them when I'm finished. I'm expensive and I have never had an unhappy customer.

To give hard quotes you have to know exactly where the bees are and what you have to do to get them out and what kind of repairs are going to be necessary after you are finished, so you can inform the customer.

Accessing the situation is part of estimating every job, so I don't charge for it.

Good luck,

Don

We do cutouts but repairs are up to the customer. I don't want to get into any replacement of any kind of siding or other carpentry work. I'm there for the bees. I get paid to take out the bees, nothing else. If there is a wall full of honeybees, it is 200-400 dollars, it depends on what I have to cut to get to them, after I leave, it's on the customer. Never had a complaint, because I tell them up front that I am not a housing contractor, don't want to get into replacing siding, etc.... I tell them I will get the bees out, that's it.

The price is based solely on locale and a case by case basis. In my area, we just can't charge that kind of money. Most of the ones a friend and I do are for $100, and we try to straighten up what we can. $200 is the most we have charged so far. If we tried to charge more, the bees would get sprayed and killed, and we wouldn't get any jobs at all. We have done several just for the bees and honey.
    John Sampson-Tucker County, WV
    14 hives - All cutouts and swarms

I have a $250 minimum for a simple cutout with no repairs, from the pics I wouldn't touch it for less that $400-$500. I do this as a business and have liability insurance for the carpentry and my farm insurance covers any incidents(none or at least rare) covers the bees. Both my farm and carpentry businesses are LLC's. I average 1-3 cutouts per week and have stayed busy since the weather turned warm. Since this is a business for me I pay for advertising and everything involved with any business. It may be easier to access from below but the job is much harder when working overhead while removing bees. While many consider getting the bees as part of the compensation, I don't. I generally average between $70-$100/hr., most jobs never take more than 4-5 hours with just one person although I have had a couple that took 6 hrs. I also give a 30 day warranty that bees won't take up residence in the same spot if I don't do exclusion work and a 1 yr. warranty when I do the exclusion work. If they get bees in the same area I remove them for free.
    "Of all God's creatures, only the honeybee improves its environment and preys on no other species."--Haydon Brown