Thread: Reversing Deeps

Default Reversing Deeps

I have a hive that has filled out the bottom deep completely, but refuses to move up into a new deep with foundation and a couple of frames of drawn comb. Will reversing the boxes help much here in late July to get them to draw out the frames?

Default Re: Reversing Deeps

Probably not, even during a flow they are more likely to work up than down. If they aren't using the empty box at all, putting it on the bottom will at least give them a place to hang out under the brood nest - and thus reduce bearding for whatever it is worth. I do that all the time, and they sometimes build a small amount of comb, but only a little.

You don't really need to worry about it much though, a single will winter fine if you don't let them starve.

I'm having the same issue - my question is - if they don't draw out any comb on that 2nd hive should I remove it before winter or just leave it on?

The usual practice is to remove them for winter, but if it is on the bottom you can leave it on, and it will act like a big slatted rack. That is still months away though.

leave them like they are ---just move some frames ---take a couple or so of FRAMES from bottom and put them in the top box--empty frames in the bottom might help some

I have been checker boarding for some time now and they are drawing them out in the main brood box. I placed a few frames of drawn comb in the next deep but they did not move up. They have been the only hive bearding and the one deep is heavy with stores.

I went ahead and reversed just to see what they would do. This hive was just a few bees in the spring after the winter. I downsized them into a nuc this spring and they have been building since spring. I even made a split out of them 4 weeks ago, and inserted new foundation in the place of the frames I took. The split was the slowest to take off out of the 4. The other 3 came from a different strain of bees I bought this spring.

But, they would not move up. I guess it will be a little experiment to see what they will do.

Move a drawn frame (with brood) up inot the center of the undrawn box... make sure it has bees on it when you do the move. Feed. They'll draw it out. I don't think the bees will leave the brood unattended. They'll start working that box soon enough after that.
    "Life will find a way - it always finds a way." -Jurassic Park (MOVIE/BOOK)
    USDA Zone 5a