Default Mite Away Quick Strips II

Is MAQS as easy to use and as effective as the advertisement says? I used Hopguard last Fall, but did not like the messy strips or opening every hive three weeks in a row. This Spring I used Apivar and it was easy to use, but I had to leave it in the hives for 45 days. I like the idea of being able to leave the supers on in September so the bees can fill them and I will leave 2 deeps and a super for each hive this Winter.

Default Re: Mite Away Quick Strips II

Just a quick question on the Hopguard, even though you disliked the messy strips and such, did it work for you? Did you monitor mites before and after and what what was the result? Thanks. John

I did not monitor. Our local commercial beekeepers said to treat spring and fall as a newbee. They said I would have plenty to worry about so save the treatment/no treatment until I have more experience.

So I assume they made it through the winter, what was their condition this last spring, weak/strong, and did they build up well and make a crop? Thanks. John

All three hives made it through winter in fine shape! I split 1 hive and it has 1 super on it. The other hives have 4 supers, 3 supers and 2 supers.

I don't know about your area, but formic acid treatments - such as MAQS - in the summer is hard to do here in the south because the temps are too high. Be sure to read the directions.

Quote Originally Posted by David LaFerney View Post
    I don't know about your area, but formic acid treatments - such as MAQS - in the summer is hard to do here in the south because the temps are too high. Be sure to read the directions.
    No joke- close to 100 later this week. So what do you use and when?
    karla

At high temperatures expect queen loss. Your better off using apivar.

I won't be using a mite treatment until September 1st when I take off the honey.

Quote Originally Posted by winevines View Post
    No joke- close to 100 later this week. So what do you use and when?
    I'm using apiguard later this week as soon as I pull honey - it actually works best during higher temps up to a point - 105 F according to the instructions. But it requires two treatments. The active ingredient in apiguard is thymol (synthetic I imagine) which can be extracted from the herb thyme.

Everyone needs to educate theirself about the different options - they all have their ups and downs. A great place to start would be with these articles on Randy Olivers site Scientific BeeKeeping..